• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

chezcherie

While planning a July 4 trip to New Orleans (I know, awful time to go, right? No wonder our favorite hotel still had rooms), I was heartbroken to find that Stella! has shuttered. We were latecomers to Stella and only got to visit once in Winter 2014. It was one of the best meals we've had in New Orleans, and on some days I think it's topped dining at August.

Has anyone eaten at Stanley, their new project? Any suggestions on a replacement for Stella? We've hit Gautreau's (which we didn't love), Emeril Legasse's restaurants, the John Besh empire, the Link restaurants, and plan to return to August. Was looking at Square Root but between the $50 corkage fee (real southern hospitality) and lack of information about their food, I got kind of turned off to the place. I liked the fun, precision, and creativity of Stella and am sad to see it go.

I just returned from 4 days in NO--first time there. After spending an awful amount of money in NY the week before, we opted for one splurge and mostly dives. The splurge was Cochon and it was totally great. The appetizer ribs were about the best I've ever eaten, and the grilled redfish was simple and amazingly great. There were no reservation to be had the weekend of Mother's Day, but we called the day before and picked up a cancellation. We didn't have a chance to try a lunch from Cochon Butcher, but I am guessing the sandwiches are great.

We stayed in the Marigny, which was perfect. We were a half a block from the Cake Cafe and half a block from Mimi's bar. Breakfasts at Cake are wonderful, modestly priced and neighborhood friendly. Mimi's turned out well for an emergency late dinner of small plates.

We did go to Cafe du Monde, just because it seemed dopey not to. The secret--at least for me and my impatient husband--is to NOT wait on the absurd line for a table under the big tent, but to go round the back to the take-away window. The line was six people, about 3 minutes. Choice of any and all coffee drinks and piping hot beignets in a bag. There's plenty of bench seating and underutilized space to breath over there on the back side. Very yummy! But I think if I had waited what looked to be at least 45 minutes on a Tuesday morning I wouldn't have been so happy with my breakfast.

One of the more appealing sandwiches for me is the crossover of banh mi and po'boy, which really seems like a natural thing, although I've never heard anyone talk about it that way. At a very funky place in Slidell we had crawfish by the pound and a soft-shell crab po'boy that was very much like a banh mi but without the pate. It was excellent. Crawfish were good, but I am glad we didn't order as much as they suggested. At least they seemed good, but I have no experience there. Lotta work.

We did not spend a lot of time in the French Quarter, but the heat was getting to me and we slipped into Erin Rose Bar. We got sandwiches to go--this time a crossover with shrimp--also great. And I hit the jackpot with the Frozen Irish Coffee. Basically it's a moderately alcoholic coffee slushy. If I could have tolerated being in the French Quarter any more than once I would have drunk six of those a day.

We did have some other modest and very pleasant outdoor meals, but honestly I can't remember what they were.

Okay, I'm gonna sneak in a non-food related item: don't miss the Backstreet Cultural Museum. If you are a fan of the HBO show Treme or if you know anything about the Mardi Gras Indian tribe culture it's unique.

• Like 2

My absolute favorite has always been the shrimp and grits at Mr. B's Bistro, and the soft-shell crab at Antoine's. Tujague's prix fixe menu is a good price point, and it's a neat old place, but I was not impressed with the food at all. Love the oysters at Drago's. As for drinks, you can't go wrong with the Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel on Canal.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

My absolute favorite has always been the shrimp and grits at Mr. B's Bistro, and the soft-shell crab at Antoine's. Tujague's prix fixe menu is a good price point, and it's a neat old place, but I was not impressed with the food at all. Love the oysters at Drago's. As for drinks, you can't go wrong with the Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt Hotel on Canal.

had the shrimp and grits at Mr B's. It was delicious

• 4 months later...

Hi everybody!

I will be in New Orleans with my wife for a few days around Thanksgiving.

I've read some of the previous posts, and have already booked Cochon on Nov 27th.

Is there any place that you would recommend for Thanksgiving? I'm looking for a place where we can eat traditional food (stuffed turkey and pumpkin pie).

Thanks!! :smile:

• 10 months later...

What's the one place I need to eat at in NO on my book tour. For me it needs to be new and exciting. I've done all the old standards. Shaya is the only place I know of that I haven't been yet but that's getting less new by the day.

• Like 1

Heading to NO to eat for 5 days next month. Haven't been there since pre-Katrina. Looking for recommendations for breakfast, lunch and dinner at non-touristy spots. Don't care much for fine dining, more interested in authentic local fare even if served on paper plates & picnic tables. If my memory serves, I had some terrific Vietnamese meals last time I was there. Is there still a large Vietnamese community  nearby?

BTW @gfweb - I stayed at Windsor Court last time and ordered a crab meat omelette from room service and even though it was years ago I remember that being one of the best omelettes of my life. In fact I'm thinking about staying at the Windsor Court again just in the hopes that they still have that same omelet on the room service menu. :x

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I'm wrapping up my time in NOLA and here's what I've had:

Clancy's - it was right around the corner from my airbnb (which was great, btw), otherwise it would not have been on my radar. Brie on fried oyster for a starter and stuffed soft shell for entree with a couple of old fashioneds. Perfect old-style NOLA meal.

Elizabeth's - late morning breakfast of Calla cakes and poached egg over crab cakes. Great vibe, food was so tasty and funky friendly vibe. Some locals told me that they've had less than stellar food here so maybe it's because I went at 10 am and the place was slow. Try hitting it at an off hour.

Shaya - Great restaurant. Quality was perfect. Portion to price was not. I focused on all of the small plates and ignored the entrees. Reserve early seats to get in at the last minute or they have a large bar that you can walk into.

Cochon Butcher - Super! I went old school with a muffaletta and it was great. Super friendly staff. 

Willa Jean - I snacked here. Intelligensia coffee.

My final meal will be Coquette tonight.

• Like 6

• 1 year later...

We flew to New Orleans yesterday, for a cruise that departs on Sunday. We hit The Blind Pelican for happy hour and dinner. We each had a dozen chargrilled oysters for starters which were good, but took a while because of the large crowd of St. Patty's day Irish parade participants. They were worth the wait. I followed up with a dozen raw ones, which were wonderful. Hard to believe during happy hour, a dozen raw oysters are $3. Pretty hard to beat. We were up at 2 am so we were pretty beat and called it a night. I think under other circumstances, I would have had another dozen and some boiled crawfish. We will stay another three days after we return from the cruise,  and have plans for those days that will more oysters and crawfish..

HC

Chargrilled.thumb.JPG.060c58eb181ebb24a7aa142de1880d37.JPG5aae799529fbc_RawOysters.thumb.JPG.fd9fa20a65a714588390dc0b61eca9fb.JPG

5aae7a4f1298d_GreenWave.thumb.JPG.850971c17296b22c4dff0cc3750273eb.JPG

crawfish.JPG

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 19

1 minute ago, HungryChris said:

We flew to New Orleans yesterday, for a cruise that departs on Saturday. We hit The Blind Pelican for happy hour and dinner. We each had a dozen chargrilled oysters for starters which were good, but took a while because of the large crowd of St. Patty's day Irish parade participants. They were worth the wait. I followed up with a dozen raw ones, which were wonderful. Hard to believe during happy hour, a dozen raw oysters are $3. Pretty hard to beat. We were up at 2 am so we were pretty beat and called it a night. I think under other circumstances, I would have had another dozen and some boiled crawfish. We will stay another three day after we return from the cruise,  and have plans for those days that will more oysters and crawfish..

HC

Chargrilled.thumb.JPG.060c58eb181ebb24a7aa142de1880d37.JPG5aae799529fbc_RawOysters.thumb.JPG.fd9fa20a65a714588390dc0b61eca9fb.JPG

5aae7a4f1298d_GreenWave.thumb.JPG.850971c17296b22c4dff0cc3750273eb.JPG

crawfish.JPG

Majorly jealous.

• Like 5

@HungryChris -- Try the oysters at Drago's, in the Hilton down on the river. Love their char-grilled. My other two major recommendations would be shrimp and grits at Mr. B's Bistro in the Quarter, and breakfast at Brennan's. If there is a breakfast more sublime than their egg yolk tartare followed by Eggs Hussarde, all washed down with mimosas and good Louisiana coffee, I'm not sure I want to know about it. It is the only place in the world I will happily shell out 50 bucks for breakfast.

Should you get tired of seafood (I never do, but...), you can get a fine steak at La Boca Argentine, off Tchopitoulas kind of on the boundary between the Central Biz District and the Warehouse District.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:14 PM, kayb said:

@HungryChris -- Try the oysters at Drago's, in the Hilton down on the river. Love their char-grilled. My other two major recommendations would be shrimp and grits at Mr. B's Bistro in the Quarter, and breakfast at Brennan's.

We agree that the oysters at Drago's are awesome. Last time we were in NOLA, we each had an order of char-grilled oyster and split a fried shrimp po-boy there. There is a good possibility that we will hit Drago's again. We checked the price of shrimp and grits at Mr. B's Bistro and it's just not in the plan. We do have a bunch of must do's when we return that includes another visit to the Blind Pelican for some boiled crawfish and more oysters. We also want to visit Bevi Seafood Market for their renowned crawfish boil. There is also a market just a few steps away from our hotel, Rouse's, which puts out big, hot coolers full of freshly boiled mud bugs from 11 am to 7 pm every day during the season. I happened to be in there when they put the first one out on our last visit and they smelled great! They have a nice little food court area where you can grab a beer and chomp on crawfish by the pound  (about $3 pp) to your hearts content. I would like to try and document that experience.

HC

Edited by HungryChris (log)
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

Just signed back in after a few years of lurking, hoping for some current advice for eating in New Orleans... Will be staying in the French Quarter for a few nights and have no idea about anything.  Any tips / suggestions would be welcome.  Probably won't get out of the French Quarter while I'm there, so really only looking in that area but want to avoid tourist traps, etc. while feeling like I get a taste of NO!  Thanks in advance...

Mr. B.'s Bistro is always a favorite of mine. Tujagues on, I think, Decatur (right off Jackson Square) is a good local spot. And I can never pass up Drago's, in the Hilton. Just bring me a dozen chargrilled, and keep the beer coming!

Don't ask. Eat it.

8 hours ago, ChrisZ said:

Just signed back in after a few years of lurking, hoping for some current advice for eating in New Orleans... Will be staying in the French Quarter for a few nights and have no idea about anything.  Any tips / suggestions would be welcome.  Probably won't get out of the French Quarter while I'm there, so really only looking in that area but want to avoid tourist traps, etc. while feeling like I get a taste of NO!  Thanks in advance...

Jambalaya and gumbo at Coop's

Central Grocery Muffuletta (the original and best)

Napoleon House

Killer Po Boys either standalone or in the back of Erin Rose

Remoulade by Antoine's for fresh oysters

Ditto Drago's, it's not in the Quarter but is a very short walk

Ropa Viejo and Cuban cocktails at Manolito

Late night sandwiches from Verti Marte

That's just in the Quarter, outside there are tons of great options. New Orleans is arguably the best eating city in the country. Avoid Bourbon Street and you'll be doing just fine

• 4 years later...

Going to New Orleans with kids (who eat anything, really anything) any recommendations.   Cocktail recommendations appreciated as well (not for kids)

Been twice before.   Once at 17 (college spring break) once where I was taken around by the folks who flew me out there.   In neither case did I get the chance to really explore the food on my own.

Thanks