• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

chezcherie

I am a big fan of Chef Paul Prudhomme (K Pauls) I took a course from him many years ago in which I learned how to blacken and loved it I do not think he still works in the kitchen I also like his line of Magic seasonings and I know you can get them back into Canada.

While I am not a fan of the Ruth Chris steakhouse chain the original was in New Orleans but its now based out of Florida so I would probably give it a miss.

Make sure you have some Chicory coffee with beignets a tradition left over from the Civil War. Their is a tradition place downtown looking at a church?

Mike Macdonald Calgary

Thanks for the informations Mike,

We had lunch at K-Paul and while I was a little bit dissapointed at the "Deli style" it still was the best gombo I ate all weekend long. (Paper bowl and plastic tableware!!!) My best po boy was probably at Mother's. Unconsistant food at Commander's Palace with amateur service. (What was good was excellent but the rest was totally forgetable!) A nice suprise at Cochon butcher. (Just regret that I choose to go to CP instead of the Cochon flagship for my last dinner! And I finished everything with a pizza at Domenica.

All in all good food and we will happily go back to the Big Easy

P.S. we had our coffee and beignet at Cafe du Monde.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm hoping to get a few suggestions by re-starting this thread.

Specifically, I'm traveling to New Orleans with a large group to celebrate a family member's 40th birthday. We're looking for a place that will accommodate a group of 15-20, and would like to make reservations as far in advance as possible (we're going to be there over one of the Jazzfest weekends and tables are going to go quickly).

The French Quarter or Marigny would be ideal because we're staying on Esplanade and could walk.

Any cuisine is OK, but we'd probably prefer southern/cajun/creole - we are in Nawlins after all!

Any thoughts?

sahmd and robirdstx, I'd be happy to provide some suggestions, but can you give a few more specifics on what you're looking for?

sahmd, high-end/low-end? Have you been to New Orleans before - and was there anywhere in particular you've liked?

Robirdstx, what are you looking for? Fancy dinners/not, traditional Nola food or just the best we have to offer?

I've almost given up answering questions like these because the answer is so dependent on what someone expects out of New Orleans. If you haven't been, or haven't been since Katrina, there are things happening here that you wouldn't expect. Do you want white tablecloth, sport coat, shrimp remoulade and fish amandine, or do you want progressive cocktails with creative cuisine that reflects where New Orleans is headed. Nothing wrong with either - your choice just leads to very different recommendations.

ETA: Oh, and Kim Shook's trip report is a great resource, too. One point of STRONG disagreement: La Divina's Gelato is much, much better than Sucre's. Sucre is style over substance.

Edited by MikeHartnett (log)

My favorite New Orleans restaurant is Mr. B's Bistro on, I think, Royal. The shrimp and grits are just perfection, and the bartender does a mean Pimm's Cup.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

sahmd and robirdstx, I'd be happy to provide some suggestions, but can you give a few more specifics on what you're looking for?sahmd, high-end/low-end? Have you been to New Orleans before - and was there anywhere in particular you've liked?Robirdstx, what are you looking for? Fancy dinners/not, traditional Nola food or just the best we have to offer?I've almost given up answering questions like these because the answer is so dependent on what someone expects out of New Orleans. If you haven't been, or haven't been since Katrina, there are things happening here that you wouldn't expect. Do you want white tablecloth, sport coat, shrimp remoulade and fish amandine, or do you want progressive cocktails with creative cuisine that reflects where New Orleans is headed. Nothing wrong with either - your choice just leads to very different recommendations.ETA: Oh, and Kim Shook's trip report is a great resource, too. One point of STRONG disagreement: La Divina's Gelato is much, much better than Sucre's. Sucre is style over substance.

We want casual only. We were there during the last Mardi Gras prior to Katrina (2005). I had tagged along with my DH on a business trip, so I was free to explore the French Quarter while he was in all day meetings. The evening meals were with the other company members so we did not get to go out and explore on our own. We are not interested in the Bourbon street scene and want to focus on food, not drinks. I love all kinds of seafood and my DH is a gumbo lover. We will be staying in the French Quarter, will have our own car, and want to spend the daytime hours exploring the city. We don't want to spend a long time over lunches but would enjoy relaxed and leisurely dinners.

Oops another thought for you robirdstx - though the reviews are not great I found a nice hang-out spot at Market Cafe on Decatur http://www.marketcafenola.com/

It sits on a busy funny Y intersection with a large covered outdoor eating area open on three sides. The musicians set up in the outdoor area. I found it a great place to wind down after a long day of walking and site-seeing and never felt rushed. I stayed several hours over the few days I was in NOLA and already treated like a "regular". The people watching is good there without the manic quality of Bourbon St. or Jackson Square. I enjoyed the shrimp po-boy and then discovered the market price boiled shrimp on the appetizer menu after seeing it being enjoyed on another table. Big fat succulent shell-on suckers that were a pleasure to peel and eat while enjoying the people and the music.

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2

I'm feeling exceedingly lazy right now. Sorry. I've attached part of my wedding welcome booklet advising guests on where to eat and what to do. It leans toward more traditional, since that tends to be what visitors expect. But I'm happy to suggest less traditional stuff. For example, I highly recommend taking a trip to Bywater and visiting Booty's Street Food, Maurepas Foods, Satsuma Cafe, etc.

Please don't hesitate to ask if you're looking for something different.

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 4.55.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 4.54.55 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 4.54.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 4.54.34 PM.png

• Like 1

Hi all -- I moved to New Orleans six months ago, and while I love many of the places you've suggested, I'm not sure many of them meet what sahmd requested -- a casual restaurant that will take a reservation for 15 to 20 for dinner. Satsuma doesn't serve dinner, and August is certainly not relaxed and casual. Maurepa's Fine Foods might work but I don't know if they could accomodate such a large party... Cochon might work... One I thought of that is in the Marigny, Ruby Slippers, only does breakfast and lunch. The reason I hadn't posted earlier is that I don't typically make it to those neighborhoods often -- I end up staying Uptown most of the time...

Stanley is a favorite for a late breakfast. Cafe du Monde is a better place for a late night snack of beignets and cafe au lait than for breakfast. Also, I noticed that you had Cochon for dinner. Google this place and check out pictures. IMHO the atmosphere makes it more enjoyable for lunch than for dinner. It's also in the warehouse district so it's not like it's in a convenient spot to walk around after dinner in the Qtr to add to a romantic evening.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

My DH and I just returned home from our visit to New Orleans. We checked into our hotel Tuesday evening and walked over to Mr. B's Bistro (201 Royal St.) for dinner.

image.jpg

We shared the Pork Belly appetizer (sorry, forgot to take photo until after we had started to eat).

image.jpg

I had the Grilled Redfish and my DH had the Fillet Mignon (photo too blurry).

On Wednesday, we had lunch at The Gumbo Shop (630 St. Peter St.)

image.jpg

I had a cup of Crawfish Etouffee (pictured above), while my DH had a cup of Chicken and Andouille Gumbo.

That night we had dinner at Pere Antoine (corner of Royal St. and St. Ann)

image.jpg

I had their Fried Shrimp and my DH had the Red Beans and Rice with Sausage.

On Thursday morning, we ventured out for breakfast to The Ruby Slipper Cafe (200 Magazine St.)

image.jpg

While my DH opted for the Spanish Omlet, I had Two Eggs Scrambled and Bacon.

And for our final New Orleans meal, we took ourselves over to The Market Cafe on Decatur to eat, drink and people watch while we listened to the live jazz band.

image.jpg

My DH had the Gyro Pita, and I went for fried shrimp again, and had the Fried Gulf Shrimp Platter.

We had a wonderful time in New Orleans and plan to return soon.

image.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions. Cheers!

Edited by robirdstx (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I'll be in New Orleans for a wedding, and am a first time visitor. I've been wanting to go for years, but only have two free days before wedding events start.  So assuming I only have two lunches and two dinners (plus possibly one more of each in various windows), what are the can't-miss places these days.  Price is no object, so I'm not looking for bargains, just the quintessential NO experience at any price point.  Please include classics (Commander's, etc.) as well as anything that's at the top of its game right now (Peche?).  Also appreciated are additional experiences worth having (breakfasts, po boys, treats, etc.)  

Also, I haven't seen as much talk about cocktails and booze on this thread, so please provide suggestions on the best places for cocktails, both classic and newfangled.  Can't go to NO without getting my Sazerac/hurricane/other on!  Thanks!

I had an excellent dinner at Herbsaint a couple of months ago. The chef, Donald Link, seems to be very of the moment and has several restaurants in town. It was only the second time that I have left a restaurant and immediately searched to find out whether he had a cookbook available with recipes for any of the dishes I had tried. I visited another of his spots, Cochon Butcher, the next day for lunch. While good, I wouldn't recommend it based on the length of the line to get in.

I also had dinner at GW Fins, which receives relatively strong reviews as one of the old guard in the city. While the biscuits served in place of bread were tasty, the rest of the dinner was a real miss. It felt and tasted more like a hotel dining room. Nothing really objectionable but equally nothing interesting or taking any chances.

"...just the quintessential NO experience..."

Aren't you going to do a bar crawl along Bourbon Street** and roam around the Quarter and Rue Royale?  (Galatoire's too, of course - maybe earlier in the day. :-) )  Remember you can lurch from bar to bar along the street with open drinks in hand :-) and maybe catch a few hours of sleep at daybreak before you change into your wedding duds. 

**p.s. There is actually quite a bit more around the FQ in terms of history than just alcohol availability and adult entertainment and food. ;-)