• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Orleans Restaurants: Reviews & Recommendations

chezcherie

What about Mila, Todd? Is it open yet? If not, think it will be before Thanksgiving?

It's not open yet. I'd really be shocked if it's open before Christmas, but who knows.

Brooks works with them, so he might have some insight on this. You out there Brooks?

Ok, looks like they will be open soon. They said on Lorin Gaudin's radio show that they're shooting for November 7. Sounds like it possible.

Todd A. Price aka "TAPrice"

Homepage and writings; A Frolic of My Own (personal blog)

I have eaten at the New Orleans Grill at least 10 times in the last year and would not recommend it. The reason why we have eaten there so much is that we get a free lunch and free dinner from our American Express card amenities. It is worth if for free.

I cannot recommend Stella! enough. We were there a couple of weeks ago the day after the chef/owner had gotten married. Needless to say, all the waitstaff were incredibly hung over, but we never noticed even the slightest bump in the road in service during the meal. The squash soup is some of the finest food I have ever put in my mouth. The wine prices are very reasonable.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm heading down tomorrow.

One related question. Initially I wasn't planning on renting a car. Now as I plan out some of my eating, a lot of places will be outside of the French Quarter. Does a car rental make sense? What's the taxi situation nowadays?

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

I have eaten at the New Orleans Grill at least 10 times in the last year and would not recommend it.  The reason why we have eaten there so much is that we get a free lunch and free dinner from our American Express card amenities.  It is worth if for free.

I cannot recommend Stella! enough.  We were there a couple of weeks ago the day after the chef/owner had gotten married.  Needless to say, all the waitstaff were incredibly hung over, but we never noticed even the slightest bump in the road in service during the meal.  The squash soup is some of the finest food I have ever put in my mouth.  The wine prices are very reasonable.

Did you dine at the New Orleans Grill after Greg Sonnier took over? I know that they had a rough transition and were in limbo for a long time. I haven't heard many reports about Sonnier work at Windsor Court, but Gabrielle, his former restaurants, was always considered one of the best in town.

I didn't know that Chef Boswell got married. Congratulation to him.

Does a car rental make sense?  What's the taxi situation nowadays?

I would suggest renting a car, particularly if want to hit older, neighborhood places.

You can get cabs, but sometimes the wait can be long. Except in the French Quarter, you can't hail of cab on the street.

Does a car rental make sense?  What's the taxi situation nowadays?

I would suggest renting a car, particularly if want to hit older, neighborhood places.

You can get cabs, but sometimes the wait can be long. Except in the French Quarter, you can't hail of cab on the street.

Rent a car. Look for one online and you can save a ton of money. I do it all of the time and I live here. There are some good deals around-try hotwire and travelocity. Especially hotwire. I got one at Hertz, about three weeks ago, and it was only $17 a day.

Besides, cabs here, at least since the storm, suck. There is no telling what you might be charged unless you basically yell at them to turn on the meter. It's always, "special event! No meter! Too many people! I no take you!" Truly annoying.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Did you dine at the New Orleans Grill after Greg Sonnier took over? I know that they had a rough transition and were in limbo for a long time. I haven't heard many reports about Sonnier work at Windsor Court, but Gabrielle, his former restaurants, was always considered one of the best in town.

I didn't know that Chef Boswell got married. Congratulation to him.

Yes, we have eaten there since Chef Sonnier took over. It is just not the same as it was BK. I also have tried the lamb chops and they were just about inedible. Our first times back to New Oleans were in November and then again in February right after Katrina and I cannot say enough nice things about the New Orleans Grill and all of the staff at the Windsor Court during that trying time.

That said, my wife has had several entrees under Chef Sonnier's current reign that she liked, but there are other restaurants that, in my opinion, are much better options now. One nice additional change at the Windsor Court for the better is that they now have a Club level that was converted over from one of the Penthouse Suites offering a nice array of breakfast items, soft drinks and cookies during the day, and drinks and appetizers after 5 PM. The club level is more expensive, but we are always upgraded as another benefit from our American Express card, so it does not cost us additional.

And, yes, congratulations are in order all around for Scott. John Besh has gotten a lot of press for what he accomplished right after Katrina. I think Scott deserves at least every bit if not more credit for what he did post-Katrina as well. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it, but I don't live there so I may not be aware of the praise he so rightfully deserves.

Have you tried his Japanese squash soup yet? The only item of food I have had in New Orleans that was any better are the charbroiled oysters at Dragos, and it is a tossup between the two as to which I would eat on a day to day basis. If you haven't tried it, run, don't walk, to give it a try if it is still on the menu. If memory serves me correctly, I think this was originally prepared for one of the James Beard dinners when Scott was invited to cook for the participants and was very well received there as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I just came across this question now. Last trip, I really enjoyed Herbsaint for lunch. I'd like to head back there this trip (I'm in New Orleans now), but boss just asked me to meet him for dinner in the Quarter. Tomorrow night, I'll be at the Hornets game so probably no dinner.

• 5 weeks later...

Don't be suprised if you go to Coop's to see a few locals scurrying along the bar.

My first trip there was with my buddy who grew up in Metarie. We got into town and he took me straight to Pat O's and after the 1st hurrincane he and a friend who met us there were pouring theirs into mine everytime I was not looking.

Afterwards we stumbled to Coop's and my buddy dropped a big fork full of Jamabalaya into my water trying to get me to taste it. After that I don't remember much else, except when we pulled in the other friend's driveway and I said "How did we get here?"

Then the next morning there was a 2000 pound Timpani drum where my head used to be.

Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

We're making a LONG drive from FL to NM in a few days.  We'll hit the North Shore area around lunch time on Sunday.  Any recommendations for a quick, casual, but delicious lunch?

Try the Abita Brew Pub

Abita Brew Pub

I recommend Middendorf's. If you are going west on I-10, you take a short northerly detour, and if you are going west on I-12, a quick south detour...in both cases, on I-55. It is located in Pass Manchac. They make a great oyster soup, wonderful soft shell crabs (in season), and are especially famous for their fried catfish. Many folks like the very thin version, which I think is mostly fried crust. I prefer the regular version, which is pretty thin anyhow, but really delicious. Lots of other good stuff on the menu. It does get crowded on Sundays at lunch, but it worth the wait.

I recommend Middendorf's. 

That place looks amazing! We may try to hit it on the way home, Jan. 2... we'll have a bit more flex on time then and a Wednesday lunch may be less crowded.

Too bad it's not soft-shell season... I LURVES me some soft-shells! :wub:

a co-worker swears by the Roast Beef Po' Boys and Pralines at a place called Bear's in Covington. He talks about them so much I went to confirm this afer noon.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

I would make a slight detour to I-12 and hit La Provence in Lacombe, La.

Middendorf's is a great joint too, can't argue with that suggestion.

I should also say that I haven't been to La Provence since Bajeux took over, but he's a great chef, so I'm not hesitant to recommend the place.

http://www.laprovencerestaurant.com/

A map: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result.php?q1=L...be%2C+Louisiana

I would make a slight detour to I-12 and hit La Provence in Lacombe, La. 

Middendorf's is a great joint too, can't argue with that suggestion. 

I should also say that I haven't been to La Provence since Bajeux took over, but he's a great chef, so I'm not hesitant to recommend the place. 

http://www.laprovencerestaurant.com/

A map: http://maps.yahoo.com/maps_result.php?q1=L...be%2C+Louisiana

I've eaten there a bunch recently and highly recommend it. It's pretty damned swell, overall. Lots of really good country French stuff that will please you and served in a lovely, kind of casual, kind of elegant, setting.

Say hi to the rediculously tall young man in the kitchen. That's my boy, Miles. Tell him that Dad said to get back to work.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

Where would you eat - 15 meals over 5 days in New Orleans?

Two very 'when in Rome' type eaters (and drinkers) looking for recommendations for 15'ish meals - breakfast/brunch, lunch, dinner, late night. We primarily enjoy casual, soulful, local cooking but would appreciate any upscale and/or non creole/Cajun suggestions as well.

A map of some of the spots which interest us - here

Thanks!

Todd Price pointed me towards Cafe Freret for a Muffaletta - they make their own olive salad. You may need a GPS to find the place - I did - but it is definitely worth seeking out. Unfortunately, I had the mother of all colds for that trip and couldn't make it back for their soft shell crab poor boy. The owner boast on it some. There bread pudding is awfully good, too.

Though I guess some shun it as touristy, I had a first rate etouffee at Bon Ton.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

• 2 weeks later...
Todd Price pointed me towards Cafe Freret for a Muffaletta - they make their own olive salad.  You may need a GPS to find the place - I did - but it is definitely worth seeking out.  Unfortunately, I had the mother of all colds for that trip and couldn't make it back for their soft shell crab poor boy.  The owner boast on it some.  There bread pudding is awfully good, too.

Though I guess some shun it as touristy, I had a first rate etouffee at Bon Ton.

Hit Commander's for a lunch (bargain), MiLa for a meal (new, but am thoroughly impressed with Mr/Mrs Slade-Rushing) they are doing great thing, Central grocery for a muffaleta, and hit Restaurant August. Besh Rules...he's the best in NOLA right now.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

I am thinking about driving down for 3 days with the family. I'm curious about lunch, dinner spots that would be interesting for me and the wife and ok to drag 2 10 yr olds and an insane 4 yr old tasmanian devil. I was thinking Mother's for 1 lunch and some good fried chicken for another.

Also, would convention center area be ok to stay or should I stay french quarter?

Also, also, live music, the kids would just love the street bands and music at night on Bourbon St. Anyone know of places where we could sit and eat at night and listen to music all together?

Thanks!

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

Hi All,

I am thinking about driving down for 3 days with the family.  I'm curious about lunch, dinner spots that would be interesting for me and the wife and ok to drag 2 10 yr olds and an insane 4 yr old tasmanian devil.  I was thinking Mother's for 1 lunch and some good fried chicken for another.

Also, would convention center area be ok to stay or should I stay french quarter?

Also, also, live music, the kids would just love the street bands and music at night on Bourbon St.  Anyone know of places where we could sit and eat at night and listen to music all together?

Thanks!

-Mike

I don't know that I would take the kids to Bourbon Street at night. There is a very high drunk factor there and the music that wafts from the open doors is more of a too loud bar music type that is not reflective of the music of the area.

Maybe in the Marigny for the music. Mothers is good for a meal. Maybe do Cochon for the other lunch.

If your plans to be there happen the last weekend of April or the first weekend of May, then by all means get tickets for Jazzfest. Especially if you want to hear some music. The cubes are up with the times and stages, here are the dates, stages and times.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!