• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hong Kong tea restaurant's coffee Vs Starbuck's

hzrt8w

I have indulged myself in Hong Kong Cha Chun Tien's coffee (Tea Restaurant's coffee) for 3 weeks while I was in Hong Kong.

I don't know what it is. The coffee served in these Hong Kong "tea restaurants" tastes quite different from the Starbuck's coffee (or other generic coffee serverd in the USA). The flavor seems stronger (more "coffee" taste and aroma?). It's sweeter. And I prefer the Hong Kong style coffee.

Can anybody tell us what makes the difference? Hong Kong tea restaurant's coffee versus Starbuck's coffee. I know for one thing, they use condensed milk in Hong Kong. Starbuck's only uses whole milk or half N half. I noticed that the conventional way of making coffee in Hong Kong's dai pei dong: they use a long bag to hold the ground coffee beans. The bag is submerged in a tin kettle filled with water. Water is boiled with ground coffee beans in the kettle. Then they pour out the coffee when a customer orders a cup of coffee. Can this make a big difference?

Does anybody share the same experience (that you like Hong Kong coffee better)?

I have tried the Starbuck's coffee when I was in Hong Kong. It tasted very generic. Just like those I had in the USA.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I have indulged myself in Hong Kong Cha Chun Tien's coffee (Tea Restaurant's coffee) for 3 weeks while I was in Hong Kong.

I don't know what it is.  The coffee served in these Hong Kong "tea restaurants" tastes quite different from the Starbuck's coffee (or other generic coffee serverd in the USA).  The flavor seems stronger (more "coffee" taste and aroma?).  It's sweeter.  And I prefer the Hong Kong style coffee.

Can anybody tell us what makes the difference?  Hong Kong tea restaurant's coffee versus Starbuck's coffee.  I know for one thing, they use condensed milk in Hong Kong.  Starbuck's only uses whole milk or half N half.  I noticed that the conventional way of making coffee in Hong Kong's dai pei dong:  they use a long bag to hold the ground coffee beans.  The bag is submerged in a tin kettle filled with water.  Water is boiled with ground coffee beans in the kettle.  Then they pour out the coffee when a customer orders a cup of coffee.  Can this make a big difference?

I have tried the Starbuck's coffee when I was in Hong Kong.  It tasted very generic.  Just like those I had in the USA.

I think the key is the condensed milk. It gives a creamy, smooth taste, sort of like Vietnamese coffee. I actually like the Vietnamese coffee more than the HK cha chaan teng coffee. A bit stronger and smoother. I have heard that cha chaan teng's put a dash of salt in their coffee. The one thing I don't like about the HK teahouse coffee is the slightly sour aftertaste. That sour aftertaste is not as strong in Vietnamese coffee. Don't know where that comes from.

Have you tried Cafe du Monde coffee with chickory? That's what most Vietnamese restaurants in NY use for their coffee. Tastes almost the same as those cha chaan tengs, in my opinion. Just make a pot of that and use condensed milk. I think that might be a close approximation to what the HK teahouses offer.

I like both HK teahouse and Starbucks coffee; it really depends where and what I'm doing. If I'm in a mall, then Starbucks it is. If I have time to relax, then I'll go to a cha chaan teng.

I know that condensed milk makes a big difference in taste. I always like the Vietnamese coffee too as they use condensed milk also.

I also thought that the HK style of making coffee is to boil the coffee beans in water for some time, instead of the modern day's dripping boiling water through the coffee beans, may have contributed to my perceived "better" taste - at least they taste different.

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I don't know if it is condensed milk (which is sweetened) vs evaporated milk - because you can get it unsweetened if you like.

I think the original drink was tea and cream (ngai cha) - as the locals saw how much the British enjoyed their tea and cream - they tried to replicate the drink. They figured - if a little tea is good - then very strong tea with evaporated milk must be better. So the tea (I think the preferred brand is Brook Bond) is boiled in what looks like a knee high panty hose to me , mixed with evaporated milk for a very smooth brew that has a slightly thick texture to it. I've also heard that a secret ingredient in the tea leaves are egg shells.

I think coffee was a later drink - but the methodology applied is the same as the HK style tea.

Let me check around - there are alot of HK style cafes in Vancouver, and I can ask for the inside scoop.

I know that condensed milk makes a big difference in taste.  I always like the Vietnamese coffee too as they use condensed milk also.

I also thought that the HK style of making coffee is to boil the coffee beans in water for some time, instead of the modern day's dripping boiling water through the coffee beans, may have contributed to my perceived "better" taste - at least they taste different.

Maybe I should try to order a black coffee next time so I can compare Starbucks vs. a cha chaan teng. I usually drink my Starbucks coffee black. That way the milk is out of the equation. Next week.

• 1 year later...

I don't know what it is.  The coffee served in these Hong Kong "tea restaurants" tastes quite different from the Starbuck's coffee (or other generic coffee serverd in the USA).  The flavor seems stronger (more "coffee" taste and aroma?).  It's sweeter.  And I prefer the Hong Kong style coffee.

Can anybody tell us what makes the difference?  Hong Kong tea restaurant's coffee versus Starbuck's coffee.  I know for one thing, they use condensed milk in Hong Kong.  Starbuck's only uses whole milk or half N half.  I noticed that the conventional way of making coffee in Hong Kong's dai pei dong:  they use a long bag to hold the ground coffee beans.  The bag is submerged in a tin kettle filled with water.  Water is boiled with ground coffee beans in the kettle.  Then they pour out the coffee when a customer orders a cup of coffee.  Can this make a big difference?

I have tried the Starbuck's coffee when I was in Hong Kong.  It tasted very generic.  Just like those I had in the USA.

Though I've never had HK teahouse coffee, I've had quite a bit of Vietnamese coffee which you guys seemed to cover as being the major technical similarity. In Thailand recently, I noticed that in the afternoons a bunch of iced coffee carts came out and sold huge cups of iced Vietnamese-style coffee as well, but as you said with the long bag of beans, they too were suspending giant cheesecloths (tied around a stick, resting on the brim of the container) full of of grounds, submerged in what appeared to be air-temperature water probably for many hours. The coffee was rich, smoky, smooth-finishing and strong. Next time I think I'm going to ask for it w/out the condensed milk, just get the full coffee taste.

Have you ever tried the Tiawanese UBC or Mingdian coffeehouses all over China (and, I'm assuming Taiwan)? Though their coffee is expensive (appr. $3-5/cup), it is usually very, very good. I've watched them prepare it: usually hand ground to order and then boiled in one of those transparent double boiler, percolator things. Fresh tasting and excellent.