• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

recycling peach jars

mcohen

i buy those threepack del monte peach jars from costco, and i'd like to recycle those glass jars and store things in those jars. but, even after washing the jars, i can't seem to get rid of the perfume of the peaches that were formerly stored in said jars. any suggestions as how to get rid of that smell?

I have had success in the past with charcoal and newspaper. Either one, you place it in the container, close it up and let it sit for at least 24 hours. This has helped remove the smell of boiled crawfish in plastic coolers, so it should work on a peach scent.

Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you and be silent. Epicetus

Amanda Newton

• 1 month later...

i've tried several of the suggestions including filling it with boiling water and the jar itself doesn't seem to smell anymore. but, the screw-on tops themselves still smell of peaches and when you put it on the jar, then it infuses the rest of the jar with the smell of peaches.

does anybody know where i can find some tops for these jars?

I find the problem to be the lid. The glass jar with some vinegar and a dishwasher rinse is fine. I soak the lid in vinegar all day and then run thru dishwasher once or twice. Sometimes even works with the similar shaped pasta sauce jars (which of course I am only using for ravenous teenager feeds)

You might find some helpful suggestions in this discussion:

"Getting stubborn odors out of storage containers?"

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver