• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Bergen Co

Anonymouze

Looking for good spots in the Ft. Lee/Edgewater area.  What are the local favorites?

Just for starters --

The River Palm (Edgewater) -- top-notch steak. The Assembly (Englewood Cliffs) -- also a top-notch steak. JD's Steak Pit (Fort Lee) -- order the burger off the menu. The Bicycle Club (Englewood Cliffs, 9W) for burgers.

Rebecca's (BYO, Edgewater, Old Gorge Road) -- excellent Cuban food, family owned and operated. Vespa's (Edgewater) for good Italian.

Eric

i recommend hiura on main street in fort lee for sushi. fwiw probably 90% of the patrons i've seen there have been japanese.

the last two times i've been to river palm the steaks (and other food) haven't been as good as they were in years past. not sure if i was just unlucky or if things have slipped, but i prefer fleming's or assembly.

• 3 weeks later...

We have been on the lookout for good thin-crust pizza in our neck of Bergen County, and in the past three months or so have tried Kinchley's in Ramsey; Burke's, a tavern/restaurant in Westwood; and the Emerson Hotel, in Emerson. We went to Lido's one night too, but didn't want to wait.

We liked the Emerson Hotel's pizza a lot, and it seems to be under the radar. Not greasy, no grease pond in the center; tasty sauce, everything on the cheese pizza spread out uniformly; crackerlike crust; nicely cooked.

Talking to a waiter I learned that they buy the dough but make the sauce on-site. The dough is put through a machine akin to a pasta maker that makes it very flat, the dough is trimmed into circles and cooked on screens, which is obvious from the pattern on the bottom of the crust. The pizza is then run through one of those moving ovens.

The result is simple and very good.

While Kinchley's seems old and worn in a good way, the Emerson Hotel, from the comments here, seems old and dated in a not-so-good way. We had some rude diners near us, both talking on cellphones at the same time. The restaurant has a band called the Willies (they play a lot of Traveling Wilburys, The Band, Paul Simon) there on some weekend nights, and they're trying for younger, I guess.

KenP

I'd appreciate addresses or links if you got em... never heard of rainbow.

The Porter House is the last stop on Kinderkamack before you hit Rockland County.

Website is www.porterhouseusa.com

If you call ahead for a table, keep in mind that there is still a smoking section available.

I was in Kumo about 2 weeks ago. Management must have changed. Waitress came to take order and understood nothing. Ordered drinks.She didn't understand. Finally, manager came to take drink order. Waited 15 minutes. Customer at next table said he'd tried to get rice and she didn't seem to understand. We left. Manager followed to ask what was wrong. We indicated the lack of understanding by the waitress. He said he (the manager) spoke English. I asked why in the 15 minutes we waited for our drink he didn't come to check and take order and kept going.