• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Bergen Co

Anonymouze

Pimaan Thai Restaurant in Emerson is delicious...I have been there numerous times. The lunch specials are great. You get a choice of soup or salad and a main entree which comes with a spring roll as well. The staff is really friendly as well.

I am looking for great little places up and down Kinderkamack Road (preferably) or Forest Ave or somewhere that is easy and fast to grab a good lunch, but not fastfood nor diner food.

(No salads or healty-choices please, I'm going through an "Anti-vegan" phase!!!!!)

Thanks, much appreciated in advance.  :wub:

It's Greek To Me is in Englewood, Maywood and Cliffside Park.

Actually, It's Greek to Me has 8 locations: Englewood, Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, Hoboken, Westwood, Ridgewood, Holmdel, and Long Branch. These are all a bit different as this is a franchise operation with different owners.

Where is the It's Greek to Me in Maywood?

Edited by menton1 (log)

Pimaan Thai Restaurant in Emerson is delicious...I have been there numerous times.  The lunch specials are great.  You get a choice of soup or salad and a main entree which comes with a spring roll as well. The staff is really friendly as well.
I am looking for great little places up and down Kinderkamack Road (preferably) or Forest Ave or somewhere that is easy and fast to grab a good lunch, but not fastfood nor diner food.

(No salads or healty-choices please, I'm going through an "Anti-vegan" phase!!!!!)

Thanks, much appreciated in advance.  :wub:

I agree. Pimaan is good. It gets a bad rap from a couple of people because I think that they thought there were other places in Hackensack that they liked better. It has a good lunch special, friendly people and is a nice place.

It's Greek To Me is in Englewood, Maywood and Cliffside Park.

Actually, It's Greek to Me has 8 locations: Englewood, Fort Lee, Cliffside Park, Hoboken, Westwood, Ridgewood, Holmdel, and Long Branch. These are all a bit different as this is a franchise operation with different owners.

Where is the It's Greek to Me in Maywood?

I meant Westwood.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Hey! You can always stop at my little Picnic! We're happy to fill you up with some yummies!

Hey, we didn't forget-we noted you in the earlier post. Yes, Picnic is a cool place with nice stuff to go. Good chef. Alanz and I have been in there frequently.

Thanks! I try. Not an easy location, but we do our best... we just started a "beef wellington" wrap. Baked filet mignon, duxelles, and of course, foie gras, all wrapped up. Our problem is our everyday eaters are afraid. Sad, that!

MMmmMmm Picnic... I can't look at their daily menu's the food is too darn good for me and I feel awful to have them deliver lunch for just little old me because I usually just want a sandwich and a side, so I end up rewarming something or odering chinese food or something from another more local place. Either way the food is always good and fresh and delicious but I don't think I've met many foods I don't like so don't go by me, try it for yourself sometime! LOL

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, don't stuff yourself and don't act like a Turkey with family! -grin- :raz:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Hey! You can always stop at my little Picnic! We're happy to fill you up with some yummies!

Is this a store or an event?

Menton it's a store (gourmet take out!) great food too, trust me I've gone there and ordered from them. It's on Kinderkamack # 180 across from Boston Market in Emerson more or less... just look about a few feet north and across from there.

The Chef/Owner's name is Christine Nunn (I hope I spelled it right!) she's a nice woman who will try to take a minute or two to talk to you. I'm a yenta so I try not to bother her too much (grin)... it's worth the trip, trust me! (or peep at their online site I google it by using keywords picnic emerson nj then click on their link.

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know of any places who can make up a low calorie lunch based on my wants/desires that delivers up near or in the Westwood/River Vale/Montvale area? I want to have something TASTY yet lower calorie and since I hate cooking and find frozen stuff pretty tasteless :wacko: and salads are for rabbits :raz: IMHO (Yeah, I'll have a good salad once in a great while though!)... anything you suggest would be very helpful! Thanks again.

If you are not eating salads, just what do you have in mind for "low-calorie"? You could get some sliced turkey or roast beef at the supermarket deli, there is cottage cheese, there is plain yogurt... Some Chinese places will cook without oil for you, but it is generally not so good, unless there is an unusual Chinese place out there. And, Boston Market sells a whole chicken "a la carte" without any trimmings. Also Butch's in Westwood will broil some fresh fish for you.

A can of tuna in water is also on lots of folks' list...

• 4 months later...

Cinco de Mayo what a beautiful name for a not so beautiful place! It is on a street that parallels Kinderkamack with the shared street being Westwood Ave. Like a big letter "H". It is about 2 doors down from Karl Ehmer's and one door down from the bagel shop. It is really worth going to for a fast lunch IMHO!

I went there for lunch a few days back and the food was pretty good for such a small "decor-challenged" place. I bought the Chicken Mole Enchilada's and took a picture too - one day I'll figure out how to u/l it with this phone/camera. They gave me tray-warmed chips and a nice salsa with a tiny bite to it. The food and service was very good and the staff amazingly attentive, the price was reasonable as well - there were 5 other people eating when I first arrived there so it was not too busy but not too quiet for such a smallish place. I was pleased with all but one small aspect - I got ALOT of it on my shirt that day, if my shirt likes it I usually do too! -LOL-

:blink::laugh:

King Fung in River Edge (570 Kinderkamack, I believe? If you're coming from Route 4, it's on the left side after a mile or two or three) has dim sum and buns brought in from NYC on Saturday mornings. Go before 10/11 and you've got a better shot at some good stuff. There's tons of fun dim sum and Shanghai-style dumplings and buns to try. It's great for a picnic; we found a little park near a police station on the other side of the river heading back towards 4.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Next to Pimaan, in Emerson,  there's a new deli called " Marra's".  Looks interesting from the road, don't know what they mean by "Brick Oven Pizza".  Any reports?

They've got all sorts of interesting to-go items, all Italian. Homemade ravioli, prepared foods and panini. The pizza is my least favorite thing they've got. When I'm catering and tired of my own food, I've been known to drive up the road to Marrah's...just not for the pizza, but I like a crisp crust that is not burned...lots of bread, lots of veggies, stuffed clams, huge slices of lasagne....a neat place, in my humble opinion...

To clarify MJP's posting, King Fung is the supermarket at 625 Kinderkamack Road, River Edge, across the street from the Post Office (570 is actually Sanducci's). In other incarnations the supermarket was a Shop-Rite and a Foodtown.

[if you drove by looking for a Chinese restaurant, you would probably pass it.]

~ Ken P.

King Fung in River Edge (570 Kinderkamack, I believe?  If you're coming from Route 4, it's on the left side after a mile or two or three) has dim sum and buns brought in from NYC on Saturday mornings.  Go before 10/11 and you've got a better shot at some good stuff.  There's tons of fun dim sum and Shanghai-style dumplings and buns to try.

• 2 weeks later...
Next to Pimaan, in Emerson,  there's a new deli called " Marra's".  Looks interesting from the road, don't know what they mean by "Brick Oven Pizza".  Any reports?

it's related to the restaurant Marra's in ridgewood, which is unexceptional by any reasonable standard.

Anyone (Tommy?) been to Park Steakhouse? I find their menu delicious but perhaps a bit pricy at times. We've gone there three times in the six years we've lived in this town. They do use Dry Aged Certified Black Angus Beef and have a nice selection of appetizers and tasty seafood as well.

Anyone (Tommy?) been to Park Steakhouse?  I find their menu delicious but perhaps a bit pricy at times.  We've gone there three times in the six years we've lived in this town.  They do use  Dry Aged Certified Black Angus Beef and have a nice selection of appetizers and tasty seafood as well.

the don't have strip, which is my preference after porterhouse for 2, one old fella is a completely clueless and useless server, and the prices are right up there with luger's, wolfgang's, and ben and jack's, but without the quality to my mind. i've cooled off on the place.

if i couldn't go to NYC for steak, i'd probably go here. but given the options, i can't see myself returning very often.

Edited by tommy (log)

• 1 year later...

For a different, spicier spin on Chinese, check out King's Noodle in the Han Ah Rheum/H-Mart shopping plaza on Broad Ave. in Ridgefield. Of course, the food court at Mitsuwa Marketplace in Edgewater is still one of the best places for real Japanese food above and beyond sushi.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

Are their any outstanding Sushi places in Edgewater? Given the proximity of Matsuwa the large Japanese population and people coming through, I'd think their would be, but have never heard consensus on great Sushi in that area...