• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best of Bergen Co

Anonymouze

I am looking for great little places up and down Kinderkamack Road (preferably) or Forest Ave or somewhere that is easy and fast to grab a good lunch, but not fastfood nor diner food.

(No salads or healty-choices please, I'm going through an "Anti-vegan" phase!!!!!)

Thanks, much appreciated in advance. :wub:

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

I am looking for great little places up and down Kinderkamack Road (preferably) or Forest Ave or somewhere that is easy and fast to grab a good lunch, but not fastfood nor diner food.

(No salads or healty-choices please, I'm going through an "Anti-vegan" phase!!!!!)

Thanks, much appreciated in advance.  :wub:

Ah, now you're talkin' my neck of the woods. Let's start with Forest Ave. From Bergen Mall north all the way to end in Westwood/Hillsdale, there is 1 sit-down Chinese place (Panda Forest) at Midland Ave in Paramus (along with a KFC and a Dunkin Donuts) and I believe that's it on Forest Ave.

As for Kinderkamack, starting in River Edge and moving north, the ones that come to mind are Rainbow in River Edge (Middle Eastern), Sanducci's (Italian) in River Edge, Charlie Brown's in Oradell, Felice's in Oradell, Badlands Cafe in Oradell (Fresh Tex-Mex), Cool Beans Coffee House in Oradell (funky, eclectic soup, sandwiches and such - great Chai), Pimaan Thai Restaurant in Emerson, Marra's Italian Market (Italian Deli-style - related to Marra's in Ridgewood), Picnic in Emerson (gourmet to-go foods), Rosa's in Emerson (small sit-down pizzeria & Italian restaurant), Arthur's steakhouse (not a fave of mine but some love it), Cafe Terrana (Italian in Emerson Plaza), nothing in Westwood on Kinderkamack Road, but plenty in town a block or two off Kinderkamack (PJ Finnegans - Irish, Iron Horse - American, Its Greek to Me, etc). Moving up to Hillsdale, nothing on Kinderkamack until Woodcliff Lake, where there's a Blue Moon Cafe (Mexican) and then up to Park Ridge where The Park Steakhouse is (do they serve lunch? I have a feeling they do) and then onward into Montvale where you'll find The Porterhouse (Irish) and I think that's the end of Kinderkamack Road (it turns into a 4 lane highway at that point.

Needless to say, I spend countless hours myself traveling the Forest Ave/KKK Rd. circuit. I'm sure there are plenty I forgot, and I'm not vouching for gourmet fare at any or all of these places, but if you're in need of a lunch once in awhile, its a start. BTW, if you ever feel like deli, Schreiber's in Oradell is a great German deli with unbelievably wonderful potato salad and a Cold Russian Sandwich (Turkey, Cole Slaw and Russian Dressing on Rye). MMMMMM..... :-)

My neck of the woods too. I must be right near you White truffle chick, I'm in Oradell too.

In addition to what WTC said, although not on KKKRd, I would recommend Lodos Cafe in New Milford(across from Wine and Roses). Great lunch, $7.95 for a goodly amount of lovely Turkish food.

I'd appreciate addresses or links if you got em... never heard of rainbow.

I know there's a great middle eastern place (Babylon?) by where Hoffman Koos used to be.

Do you have an address for the Turkish place too that you mentioned? Thanks!

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

what's that "emerson hotel sliced steak" place all about.

i've been tempted to stop in, but it looks like it might be one of those places where the people at the bar grew roots in 1954 or so.  not that regulars are a bad thing, but, you know.

WHen I was a kid this was my parents favorite place and it was all homey and taverny and the sliced steak was great! I was back a couple of years ago and there had been a "modern" redecoration and the steak was tough and whatever the grease was on the toast points was NOT butter. SHouldn't have gone back, it ruined some great memories.

Dana

Wow: I read this thread just to see the names of the towns where I used to have friends!! I grew up in RiverVale in the 50's but left in 1963 and never went back. All I remember is the drive-in theater somewhere, the icecream parlor (those were the days when my dad would pack 6 kids into the VW bug and head out for cones), the butcher in Westwood who always gave me a slice of bologna, and the little country store that I could walk to from Woodside Ave....

what's that "emerson hotel sliced steak" place all about.

i've been tempted to stop in, but it looks like it might be one of those places where the people at the bar grew roots in 1954 or so.  not that regulars are a bad thing, but, you know.

Forget the Emerson Hotel!! It was past its prime in 1975. A real time warp, both customers and food. Forgettable. I suppose the loyal bluehair trade keeps it going...

I know there's a great middle eastern place (Babylon?) by where Hoffman Koos used to be. 

Rainbow is in the Asian Market mini-mall across from the now defunct Finks and current salubrius Chinese takeout place.

Edited by whitetrufflechick (log)

If you are willing to travel slightly off of Kinderkamack in Hillsdale...there is a great authentic little Mexican diner called Cinco de Mayo on Broadway. Seating is very limited but a great place...try the tongue taco or the head meat taco!!

If you are willing to travel slightly off of Kinderkamack in Hillsdale...there is a great authentic little Mexican diner called Cinco de Mayo on Broadway. Seating is very limited but a great place...try the tongue taco or the head meat taco!!

My 14 yr old raved about this place and when I took him there I thought it was just alot of bland greasy cheese. Maybe I ordered wrong. I may have to give it another chance

Dana

Is this one related to the Cinco de Mayo on Washington Ave in Bergenfield?

I don't have any idea if they are related to the one on Washington Ave in Bergenfield. They are related to a small Mexican grocery store that is right around the corner from the little diner in Hillsdale. The grocery store has Mexican packaged products and also items that are baked on the premises.

I'm not one for greasy and cheesy Mexican food. At Cinco de Mayo I stick with the soft tacos that have no cheese on them, and the sopas, the mole is very good, and occassionally I have the torta sandwich. They use lots of cilantro, fresh avocado and soft Mexican cheese on their food. The one item I have tried that is very greasy and cheesy are the quesadillas, and I wouldn't order them again. Unlike most "Mexican" places in the area they deep fry their quesadilla.

Edited by Purple Pirate (log)

FYI Cinco de Mayo in Bergenfield is not Cinco de Mayo. Its been renamed "La Batalla" for at least a year.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Rainbow is in the Asian Market minimal across from the now defunct Finks and current salubrius Chinese takeout place.

Saw it... thanks! Looks new-er? But as I drove by today I saw it ... thanks again!

Ah, now you're talkin' my neck of the woods. Let's start with Forest Ave. From Bergen Mall north all the way to end in Westwood/Hillsdale, there is 1 sit-down Chinese place (Panda Forest) at Midland Ave in Paramus it on Forest Ave.

Now it's Kumo? or something like that I used to love Panda Forest but it's been a different name & management for about 5 years or more - but I may be wrong?

Sounds like you and I love all the same places - LOL! But you're probably 1/3 my size so you can eat one of each and be fine at the end of the day! :laugh:

Ah, now you're talkin' my neck of the woods. Let's start with Forest Ave. From Bergen Mall north all the way to end in Westwood/Hillsdale, there is 1 sit-down Chinese place (Panda Forest) at Midland Ave in Paramus it on Forest Ave.

Now it's Kumo? or something like that I used to love Panda Forest but it's been a different name & management for about 5 years or more - but I may be wrong?

Sounds like you and I love all the same places - LOL! But you're probably 1/3 my size so you can eat one of each and be fine at the end of the day! :laugh:

Haven't been there in years, though I drive by it every day. I think I'm existing in a time-warp at times these days. :-)

I remember one day about 5 years ago I went to the KFC on Forest Avenue for a quick lunch and it was mobbed. I remember peeking in Panda Forest and seeing one well-dressed gentleman in there enjoying what looked like a nice quiet lunch. After seeing that, I told myself that I'd get back there one day to try it, but I never got the chance. Is the new place good, and is it a sit down restaurant like Panda Forest was?

I remember one day about 5 years ago I went to the KFC on Forest Avenue for a quick lunch and it was mobbed. I remember peeking in Panda Forest and seeing one well-dressed gentleman in there enjoying what looked like a nice quiet lunch. After seeing that, I told myself that I'd get back there one day to try it, but I never got the chance. Is the new place good, and is it a sit down restaurant like Panda Forest was?

FYI Cinco de Mayo in Bergenfield is not Cinco de Mayo. Its been renamed "La Batalla" for at least a year.

It's also gone way up in quality, even though it was already very very good. It's now well worth the 15-20 minute shlep from the area being discussed in this topic.

My knowledge of this area is scattered--it's been a few years since I was in this area often, but I'm still in and out of the area a lot. Forest Ave., as I recall, is kind of a wasteland for good food, but on Kinderkamack Road a few which have been mentioned are okay. Badlands has always been worthy, Pimaan is at least okay, as is Sanducci's and It's Greek to Me. Otherwise? Maybe head to Hackensack.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

and It's Greek to Me

You mean A Taste Of Greece. It's Greek To Me is in Englewood, Maywood and Cliffside Park.

Note: Jason meant Westwood, not Maywood, corrected below.

Edited by Rachel Perlow (log)

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

and It's Greek to Me

You mean A Taste Of Greece. It's Greek To Me is in Englewood, Maywood and Cliffside Park.

Its also in Westwood on Broadway (near Kinderkamack) and Ridgewood on Ridgewood Ave.

Edited by Double 0 (log)

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

and It's Greek to Me

Actually she's right...She was referring to the "It's Greek to Me" in Westwood(near the Melting Pot), not Taste of Greece in River Edge next to Midland Ave. But good point to bring that up since that's a nice choice for lunch too.