• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fridges and Pantrys and Cabinets oh my!

Stefferdoos

What's in yours? I was just cleaning mine out and thought this would be an interesting show and tell topic much like the receipt thing. Who of us isn't curious what's in everyone else's refrigerators and cupboards?

img0082fa6.jpg

img0083hs6.jpg

img0084ki0.jpg

img0085yf1.jpg

img0086nu9.jpg

img0087gw5.jpg

Now I'm off to go make dinner with that sad little porkchop you see on my counter. :D

Edited by Stefferdoos (log)

Yes, yes and yes. I made chocolate chip M&M cookies today and those were the leftover chips. There were no leftover M&Ms :wink:

All manner of hot sauces besides the Sirachi there. Should be a bottle of Choula (sp?) and Frank's Red Hot too.

btw - some of the more offensive items people might find I will confess that some are mine. Others are leftover from when I let my sister and her family live in the house after they sold theirs and I was on the road. Like that spray "butter". Totally not mine. She's a diet freak and Weight Watchers tells her that a squirt of spray fake butter is free so I have to keep that around. I wish they could do that with real butter. Its handy for corn on the cob to be sure. However the two pounds of regular butter on that shelf and the canned Kimchi & Special K bars in the pantry are totally mine.

I also seem to have about 5 bottles of rice wine vinegar. I think every time I cook Chinese I think that I ran out and buy a new bottle of the stuff.

Edited by Stefferdoos (log)

I would be interested in knowing how many egulleters have a bottle of sirachi. I know I have one. I have often noticed it in bloggers kitchen pics.

I have some! I love the "red rooster sauce" as we call it around here.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I would be interested in knowing how many egulleters have a bottle of sirachi. I know I have one. I have often noticed it in bloggers kitchen pics.

Add another into the "I have Srirachi" column !

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

gallery_23727_2765_31510.jpg

Japanese cabinet. Knives from the knife show and tell topic on the right. The black cylinders contain: cumin, mustard seed, coriander seeds, and fenugreek.

other noteable items: bamboo leaves, vietnamese drip, masteca masa, cloths line spice innovation.

gallery_23727_2765_91810.jpg

old lady sauce, one rank above average standard Japanese seasonings, sake, brandy, pimenton, salt pinch pot

in the first pic, what is the grey colored hose that's running vertically, is that the under the sink cabinet?? i'm puzzled because it's straight (without a water trap)...japaneese plumbing lesson needed...

in the second pic, what is the contraption on the tight, vacuum cleaner???

tell us about the blowtorch on the top.....

I like the clothespin/clothesline idea for the spice packets. I've got all sorts of those little Cello bags open in my pantry but they are just shoved up in that basket hanging from the top shelf. I might actually remember to use them before buying more if I could see them the way JEL can in his pantry.

in the first pic, what is the grey colored hose that's running vertically, is that the under the sink cabinet??  i'm puzzled because it's straight (without a water trap)...japaneese plumbing lesson needed...

in the second pic, what is the contraption on the tight,  vacuum cleaner???

tell us about the blowtorch on the top.....

Yes that is the drain pipe from the sink, it has no trap which is actually a problem. Sometimes bad smells come up from it so I leave the stopper in the sink at all times. New apartments have something like a trap.

Not a vac. That hose is connected to a pump I use to recycle the hot water from my bath to wash clothes! The washing machine is on the right... in my kitchen. Obviously space is at a premium.

The blowtorch is a brazing torch (speaking of plumbing). It takes gas cartridges which are a standard item here. The same cartridges are use in my portable stove which is used for tabletop cooking. I use it for a Japanese technique called tataki where food is seared and then quickly chilled. Also for desserts.

The clothesline idea was necessary in my small kitchen but I ended up really liking it.