• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Asian Supermarket

We have a new Asian supermarket that opened this week at 5th & Spring Garden.

Right opposite Silk City Diner. (not exactly opposite)

Parking at meters on street, or, parking lot behind.

Very large, very impressive.

Huge section with extremely fresh looking fish in tanks, even a butcher with different cuts of meat.

The produce area is nice as well.

Probably 6 different types of bok choy alone!

Check out aisles at both the front and the back of the supermarket.

Even had some (other) basics, like Tropicana OJ, which I needed for a bad cold.

And, a medicinal area for Chinese herbal remedies.

Talking to a NoLib neighborhood guy that went to all the meetings about the opening of this place; he said it's owned by a similar large place in the Northeast Philly area. Concerns were that place wasn't kept very clean, and he hopes this place doesn't go in that direction.

So far (of course its brand new), everything looks extremely clean and fresh and large.

How fun to have a grocery store in our 'hood! And, an Asian one at that!

Edited to add that it isn't exactly opposite the diner...

Edited by TarteTatin (log)

Philly Francophiles

i just stopped by for a little lunch, and the place is indeed big and nice. i was hoping for a prepared food section, though. like the roast duck and pig at hung vuong. so sad. but i did get those silly little japanese cookies that look like little hamburgers and tree stumps and mushrooms and whatnot.