• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eBook cookbooks

Bruiser

...is it possible to store all of my cookbooks in one place?

As someone who has a huge collection of cookbooks I use for reference on a daily basis, these new e-book readers seem like they'd be incredible for chefs to have all of their resources / recipes / etc in a neat little 10 oz. device.

Does anyone know if cookbooks will be made available on these devices, or if we can copy the ones we have onto them?

Not in my kitchen, that's for sure. I must admit to being a bit of a slob... I'd have that thing destroyed inside of ten minutes. Plus, I never liked clean cookbooks, anyway. Their state of disrepair proves (at least to me!) that they actually get used and aren't just there to look pretty.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

If you're talking about the Amazon Kindle product, the way it works is that, in order for a book to be available on the Kindle, Amazon has to release it in a Kindle edition. Most of these editions cost $9.99 each, though some are less or more. There are many cookbooks available this way, but nothing like a comprehensive selection. There is unfortunately no way to transfer an existing hard-copy print book onto the device. Also, the device has a black-and-white display, which can be a limitation with some cookbooks.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

if you mean the kindle from amazon steve is correct about it being a proprietary format. there are quite a few books in the food/cooking/lifestyle section and i think it would be good for items like Animal, Vegetable, Miracle or Eat, Love, Pray or Omnivore's Dilemna. i did notice they had McGee but it was about 17.00.

we have two kindles at our library out in circulation and i can tell you that within 5 minutes you forget you are reading from an electronic device and it feels like a trade paperback in the hands.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

at work we have an amazon account which is where we download our kindle books. we are also part of a cooperative in the state of New Jersey by which we can download books to our computers for a limited time. we experimented with ebooks but gave up that format when it proved to be less than useful in the workplace.

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites