• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

chocovision

Lior

Hello. Besides my mol d'art melters I have a chocovision x3210. I use it on and off, probably once or twice a week if that. This morning I put 2 kilo of Valrhona Guanaja and the machine keeps going into Reset after I add seed or before sometimes and never finishes tempering. I wrote to Chocovision and am waiting for an answer. Has anyone had this experience? and if so, what happened? I assume I will have to ship it back and then pay to have it shipped back to me-disaster!!

Hello. Besides my mol d'art melters I have a chocovision x3210. I use it on and off, probably once or twice a week if that. This morning I put 2 kilo of Valrhona Guanaja and the machine keeps going into Reset after I add seed or before sometimes and never finishes tempering. I wrote to Chocovision and am waiting for an answer. Has anyone had this experience? and if so, what happened? I assume I will have to ship it back and then pay to have it shipped back to me-disaster!!

It sounds like a problem with the computer board that controls the machine. If the machine is under warranty, you only pay for shipping 1 way (at least domestically), if that is any consolation. If it is not under warranty, you can purchase 1 for $100 for a year. They will then overhaul the machine. They are pretty nice people to work with.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

I thank you once again. I wonder if the computer board can be fixed locally???

I doubt it. Their computers are custom built. Well, sort of. Typically, a standard micro-controller (computer) is used and then programmed with custom programming on how to control any one of a number of custom devices -- in this case, a tempering machine. I suspect you won't find a shop locally that works on microcontrollers let alone the one that they are using.

However, as was mentioned in the earlier post, the folks at Chocovision are easy to work with. They are in my experience, more than willing to take a machine in, test it, fix any problems and send it back in short order.

There is always the debate as to who makes the best tempering machine and I doubt it will ever be settled. However, I can say that in my dealings with Chocovision that they try very hard to make sure that everybody is happy with their products and that is worth a lot in itself.

-Art

Amano Artisan Chocolate

http://www.amanochocolate.com/

I see. In general the machine is nice and easy to use. The baffle-the little white triangle is not the best. Mine was wobbly and I had to order a new. The shipping was totally crazy-over 200$. Eventually it was sent to someone in the states who mailed it to me for 11$. So hence, my concern about overseas shipping and time. But what can I do? It always happens at the wrong time, etc. Well thanks for your input! Wish I could taste your chocolate!! :wink:

I thank you once again. I wonder if the computer board can be fixed locally???

It probably is a custom made computer (controller) board specifically made for that machine. You might ask them if they could send you a board (if it is under warranty). It shouldn't be hard to replace it iof the person has repaired computers or other electrical equipment. I agree with Art they are very helpful & nice to work with. It would be better to call them & see if something can be arranged. I have worked with them before & had 2 older machines repaired by them.

That white triangle's purpose is to prevent the chunks of chocolate before melting from riding up over the side. It is wobbly on mine too. You could fix the problem by getting a nylon screw & wingnut & securing it to the baffle. This configuration will make cleaning a bit easier. If you happen to have their hopper for loading chocolate, this is a good solution for the pins they use on the side to keep the pieces together (I always had trouble with these). Both of these are minor problems & I have really liked their temperers.

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

Make sure your bowl is secure. If the clamps are not tight, it will reset. I have a large machine for my dark chocolate but still use my chocovision for white. I had a similar problem and it was resolved by getting a new baffle.

Great idea. I will see what they say. Thanks you.

I hope you are right! That would be great!! Yes, I also thought about using it for white! It is simple to temper dark by seed in the mol d'art. I will try tonight and hope for the best. Still haven't heard from Ian from CHocovision. Maybe I will be lucky. The bowl did look like it was turning weird- not perfectly even.

Thanks!

One tip that I got from the guys at Chovision I met at the Great American Dessert Expo in Vegas was to put the little black baffle nuts on upside down. The extra surface area helps it make a better connection.

He said they fix over half of these little "computer glitches" with that trick.

Patrick Sikes

www.MyChocolateJournal.com

A new chocolate review community

PS I Love You Fine Chocolates

I had chocolate there -at the copper little connection thingies. I cleaned it all up and I still get the problem. Now I will try putting the knobs upside down. I don't think the baffle is wobbly although the bowl turns around a bit wiggly. Why don;t they just redesign the knobs? Thanks for the tip.