• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year Visit

IndolentAgain

We are back in TO for new year and I though that it was worth asking where to eat this time.

Definitely think Colborne Lane and also on the potential list are Globe, Sushi Kaji and Lai Wah Heen.

Done Perigee, splendido, scaramouche, North 44, JK, Thuet, Canoe, Bistro 990

CL is on the list because I liked Claudio's cooking at senses but have left it since opening due to mixed reviews - Think its time to give it a go.

So... Any thoughts about a restaurant I have foolishly missed in TO ?.

Thanks - I might have eaten there last Christmas - but it was very cold and I was very tired and just following the friend I went to dinner with. It was somewhere close to Mistura and anyway I didnt have risotto.

How close to the "BEST" do you actually think they get ??? :smile::smile:

Edited by IndolentAgain (log)

Well, not to toot my own horn...but lets put it this way.

Outside of Italy, and my own risotto (which I have been making for 15+ years and have nearly perfected if I do say so myself ((Others most likely will agree ;))) I have not found a better risotto.

The flavours he get out of the beats and cheese that he puts in it are awesome.

I go there just for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far have been pretty busy with family. But popped into the rebuilt Sassafraz for lunch yesterday. The refurb is along similar lines to the previous decor. Its nice light and airy. A plesant place to have lunch. No the food isnt the absolute best - But had a very nice white bean soup with bacon and the burger was well cooked with herb fries (not going to get anyone rushing here for them but they do have nice flavour if not quite crisp enough to be perfect).

The wine by the glass yielded a good cab sauv from US - Castle Rock - Balanced with light tannins and good fruit - reasonable length.

The whole experience was nice - good service and just right for a lunch if you are passing at the right time like us.

pictures to follow when I get them off the camera.

Booked for the Globe on Friday (Colbourne Lane full that night so see if we can get in another night before we head back).