• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stomping through the Savoy Part 2

evo-lution

Hello all.

For a while now, I've been considering starting a thread that would run similarly to the 'Stomping Through The Savoy' thread of Eje's, and thought it would be good to share the results with the users here, due to the popularity of Eje's thread.

As I've now got a number of good books in my collection, as well as a vast amount of liquor, etc. dance.gif, I've been thinking it'd be worthwhile working my way through a book of recipes from back in the day, purely for educational reasons of course. :wink:

Initially, 'The Bon Vivant's Companion' was the book I was planning working through, however I'd be more than happy to listen to any suggestions of books, that you'd like to see 'come to life', from the good folks on here.

Anyways, what do you all think? All/any input is welcomed. Especially Eje, as I do not want to steal his thunder. :biggrin:

Ciao,

Adam

P.S I'll post a list of the books in my 'library' when I get the chance.

Edited by evo-lution (log)

Evo-lution - Consultancy, Training and Events

Dr. Adam Elmegirab's Bitters - Bitters

The Jerry Thomas Project - Tipplings and musings

The more the merrier, I say!

Rob Simmon has posted some from Patrick Gavin Duffy's "Official Mixer's Manual":

Duffy, recipes from the Offical Mixer's Manual

--and--

Cocktail and Wine Digest, Encyclopedia and Guide for Home and Bar

And, of course, Cocktail Jen has been making her way, off and on, through a copy of Mr. Boston for a couple years now:

Cocktail Jen

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Wouldn't it be wonderful to get a liquor store or publication to sponsor these book crawls? Or maybe a younger millionaire who fancies Chas Baker's hobby? :cool:

seriously, though. It would be wonderful to have all of these tasting notes in one place in a more readily accessible format, kind of like cocktaildb. These threads are great reads, I have to say.

Sean

I'd say go with the Professor. More interesting historically, to be sure. And while I'm a pretty big fan of Duffy's book, there are quite a few stinkers in there.

If you really want to do something different, why not go for Trader Vic's encyclopedia? Or Beachbum Berry's three magnificent tiki cocktail books?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

When I was contemplating which book to tackle the ones which received serious consideration were Thomas' book, the Old Waldorf-Astoria Bar Book, The Stork Club Bar Book, Charles Baker's Gentleman's Guide, and David Embury's Fine Art of Mixing Drinks.

Books which were organized by spirit I discarded because it seemed like it would be just too boring to be stuck making Gin drink after Gin drink. Similarly, purely alphabetical organization seemed more interesting than organization by type of cocktail.

David Embury's method of measuring cocktails gives me a headache every time I try to interpret it.

Charles Baker I love a bit too much. It seems like we have similar drink sensibilities, so I wasn't sure how much I would learn. Plus, there's all that typing with the recipes.

I don't have an early edition of Duffy, just the later Beard edited version, and Rob was already making cocktails from one or another version of that book. After I started making cocktails from the Savoy Cocktail Book, I was a bit embarrassed to discover how many commonalities they have. Probably about 80-90% the same book. Fortunately, one or the other often gets recipes right where the other gets them wrong, so they do make good companion pieces.

I was closest to doing the Old Waldorf-Astoria instead of the Savoy Cocktail Book, but it seemed like there were just too many defunct ingredients.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Wouldn't it be wonderful to get a liquor store or publication to sponsor these book crawls?  Or maybe a younger millionaire who fancies Chas Baker's hobby?  :cool:

Think Julie and Julia, but with booze. I could get into that.

"Martinis should always be stirred, not shaken, so that the molecules lie sensuously one on top of the other." - W. Somerset Maugham