• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

An Irish apple "pie" cocktail savory?

Betts

A local Irishman had a dinner and one of the hors d'oeuvres was what my customer called an "apple pie" that was served with drinks before dinner. She wants me to create a version. I think it was something from the homeland.

Any ideas? Currently I am inclined to do a cheddar pastry crust with an apple, currant, spices and lemon zest filling and ease up on the sugar.

I'm not sure I understand what you're looking for exactly. I know what apple pie is but it seems like you're looking for something a little different than that. You're description sounds pretty much like my standard apple pie (minus the currants), I prefer making them with tart apples and far less sugar than most people are happy about.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

if what you are wanting is a traditional British apple pie then I beg you - don't bother with all the sugar, zest, raisins etc. It doesn't need all the fiddle. A traditional english one is made with a shortcrust pastry (half white fat eg. trex or butter to plain flour, rubbed in and made to a dough with cold water) and cooking apples such as bramleys. Nothing else, ok, maybe a hint of cinnamon or nutmeg. The apples are peeled and cored, then sliced. If you are feeling especially flashy you can top the pie (it must be a pie, not a tart) with sugar before baking.

You can also make the pie with cheddar pastry, which is essentially the shortcrust with some cheese and a yolk.

You may wish to sprinkle some sugar over your slices as you make the pie, but this depends on your sweet tooth and I find it uneccesary.

Enjoy hot from the oven, preferably with Birds custard.

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

You didn't really give us much information about the item you want to recreate. You told us what you're thinking of doing (which sounds like a basic apple pie with a couple variations added) so I made the assumption that that was based on what you were trying to recreate. Did the person give you any information as to what was in the item, what they tasted/thought they tasted, whether it was sweet (which is the direction your recreation idea points), if it had meat in it, etc.?

Edit: I went through some of my mom's recipes in a notebook titled "Mark". Mark was her fella and he is of Irish heritage so it seemed like a good idea to check out recipes she'd collected for cooking for him since she was a pastry chef during her working years. I found the following untitled and not precise in measurement/description recipe which may or may not be Irish:

tart apples, peeled, cored, thin sliced

onions, thin sliced

butter

fresh thyme

salt and pepper

cheddar or lancashire, sliced

Saute onions in butter. Toss apples with salt, pepper and thyme. Layer apples and onions in pastry. Cover with cheese slices and top with pastry. Bake, 350 F.

Edited by Tri2Cook (log)

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.