• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Prime Rib

Bella S.F.

Haven't played with fingerlings before, so not sure.  Was thinking they were small enough not to need par-boiling, but easy enough to do.

Holly,

I recently roasted fingerlings for the first time and used this recipe which worked superbly.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

7.44 lb, four bone, loin end rib roast. Aged one week.

gallery_39290_5073_22006.jpg

Rubbed with oil and crushed garlic, and seasoned with Rosemary, Thyme, pepper and lots of kosher salt. Placed in a 200* convection oven (starting internal temperature was 39*). After 3.5 hours it reached 100* and was cooking too fast. I turned oven down to 130* convection. Pulled the roast out at 129* after 5 hours and 10 minutes total time.

No searing was needed.

Bones removed and ready for slicing.

gallery_39290_5073_4483.jpg

First slice. Uniform color and crispy skin.

gallery_39290_5073_30744.jpg

Six slices later.

gallery_39290_5073_35224.jpg

Yorkies.

gallery_39290_5073_21787.jpg

This was one of my best roasts ever.

Yorkies.

gallery_39290_5073_21787.jpg

Please share your recipe for the beautiful Yorkies!

They look very much like mine, but I just throw in milk, flour and 5 eggs. When someone asks me for a recipe, I don't have the proportions. :unsure:

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Haven't seen much said about what to roast the prime rib in. I was thinking that a regular roasting pan, which has high sides, might not be what I want. If I use a low sided pan, wouldn't that help the browning/carmelizing along?

I use the bottom part of my broiler pan... very, very shallow.

I use a big cast iron skillet!

Thanks for the tip Anna N. It worked great!

Rubbed with oil and crushed garlic, and seasoned with Rosemary, Thyme, pepper and lots of kosher salt. Placed in a 200* convection oven (starting internal temperature was 39*). After 3.5 hours it reached 100* and was cooking too fast. I turned oven down to 130* convection. Pulled the roast out at 129* after 5 hours and 10 minutes total time.

No searing was needed.

Perfection.

Edited by demiglace (log)

Please share your recipe for the beautiful Yorkies!

They look very much like mine, but I just throw in milk, flour and 5 eggs. When someone asks me for a recipe, I don't have the proportions. :unsure:

1 c flour

2 eggs

1 c milk

1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp mustard powder

mix and let rest 30 minutes before baking.

Straight from this thread.

Perfection.

Pretty close :smile:

The secret to perfect yorkshires is the depth of the batter.

Not too deep or you will get popovers - no more than half an inch.

Superhot fat as well and a hot oven. The batter should sizzle as you pour it in.

A little roast onion in them is nice as well

Thanks, Chefcrash and jackal10. :smile:

When I did the prime rib for our daughter's bday early Dec, I asked the butcher for extra fat. I drapped these pieces over the meat as it roasted. There was loads of dripping, and after making the dozen I needed for supper, I had enough to make another batch for the leftover roast next day - much to the grandson's delight.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

So, I just picked up a rib eye roast from Costco, about 4 lbs. After reading all the posts, I really like the Claiborne method. However, I have other stuff I need to cook in the oven and I only have one. I don't want to leave the roast out as it's usually cold in the house.

So, I'll probably try the 450 for 45 minutes then down to 350. I think that's how my friend does her roasts and they always come out nicely. Does anyone know about how long my roast will have to be in the oven for medium rare? I know I will have to go by the temperature but an approximate time will really help me since I'm making the roast for lunch. Just want to know how early I have to get up.

Anna~

I sear mine and then do it long and slow (30 min/ lb @ 200') and then stick it in the microwave (well insulated) to rest , even for a long time. But the "High heat" style is this:

2-to-4-rib roast of beef (4 ½-12 pounds), short ribs removed

Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

All-purpose flour

½-1 cup beef broth

Remove the roast from the refrigerator 2 ½ to 4 hours before cooking, the longer time for the largest roast.

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.

Place the roast in a large, shallow roasting pan, fat side up. Sprinkle with a little flour, rubbing it into the fat lightly. Season with salt and pepper. Put the roast in the oven and roast according to the chart below, timing exactly. When the cooking time is up, turn off the oven. Do not open the door at any time. Leave the roast in the oven until the oven is lukewarm, about 2 hours. If you need to use the oven to cook something else, tent the roast loosely with foil to keep it warm and remove it from the oven.

To make a thin pan gravy, remove the excess fat from the meat drippings, leaving any meat pieces in the pan. Stir in the beef broth. Bring to a boil, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the meat pieces. Simmer for 1 minute and season to taste. Serve hot.

Roasting Chart

Weight......Roast at 500 degrees

4 ½-5 pounds.....25-30 minutes

8-9 pounds.....40-45 minutes

11-12 pounds.....55-60 minutes

This works out to be about 15 minutes per rib, or approximately 5 minutes cooking time per pound of trimmed, ready-to-cook roast.

That should help :smile:

• 1 month later...

Finally, got to make our "Christmas Dinner" prime rib. (See the picture and description on the "Dinner thread".) After reading and rereading this thread as well as the links that people so kindly posted, we ended up using Alton Brown's recipe. The prime rib ended up being uniformly rare and then medium rare. The problem was that our friends from Napa were caught in traffic hell and got here over an hour and a half late. That threw off the whole meal. By the time we were able to put the roast back in the oven for the high blast, it had sat for too long a period of time. So it was really cold. Everything needed to be adjusted. However, when everything was done, the meat was still not warm and except for the end pieces, the rest was a bit raw for 2 of the 4 people.

That method, however, really seems to be the winner. Thank you everyone for your contributions.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

By the way, for those of you who do not know the Alton Brown method. Low and slow. Take it out to rest. Then put it back into a high oven to crust up. Then rest it again. Well worth trying.

"My only regret in life is that I did not drink more Champagne."

John Maynard Keynes

• 2 years later...

This year's rib roast was aged 12 days (the longest I've attempted) read here.

It started out as 11 lb 10 oz, after aging and trimming it was a little over 9.5 lbs.

It was roasted @200F convection, when internal temperature reached 130 (after four hours), the heat was turned down to 135F. The roast was taken out at 135 thirty minutes later.

PC254527.jpg

Rested 25 minutes while the dinner rolls baked.

PC254549.jpg

Every year we say this is the best:)

PC254553.jpg

PC254555.jpg

Now I have to catch up on Chris' blog:)

Edited by ChefCrash (log)

Nice, ChefCrash. So you don't sear before or use a torch after? And let me see if I understand this. about 4 hours at 200 convection. when roast reaches 130 turn the oven down and leave it for another 135 minutes?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Nice, ChefCrash. So you don't sear before or use a torch after? And let me see if I understand this. about 4 hours at 200 convection. when roast reaches 130 turn the oven down and leave it for another 135 minutes?

Thanks Marlene. No searing at all.

Sorry, missing punctuation, my mistake. That sentence should read "The roast was taken out at 135*F, thirty minutes later".

this years christmas roast was similar to Chef Crash's...only aged 5 days about 8.5 pounds done at 275 for 3 hours which shocked the hell out of me because that was a full 3 hours before dinner time.

I tented it and went on with my day...I had pulled it at 130 degrees and it carried over to 145, then my thermometer went insane. I was pulling the rest of dinner out of the oven and checked the temp, 247 that was the meat not the oven. I ran and got a different battery and that helped ever so much....now it read 300. My daughter said it can't really be 300 - poke it. So I poked it OK it wasn't a brick, but was it cooked at all? I had no idea at that point but figured if it was raw I could break out the griddle and play short order cook.

It was fine and I need a new thermometer

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Thanks Marlene. No searing at all.

Sorry, missing punctuation, my mistake. That sentence should read "The roast was taken out at 135*F, thirty minutes later".

Ah. That makes a lot more sense! I've got a Prime rib to roast on Tuesday. I think I'll try this method! Question. Do you get enough drippings to make gravy with? With the high heat, turn off method I do. Not sure that this will produce enough though.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Prime rib on the menu tonight. Can anyone tell me if this method produces any drippings or enough for gravy?

Marlene

Prime rib on the menu tonight. Can anyone tell me if this method produces any drippings or enough for gravy?

Marlene,

I did a roast this way Christmas Day and got nearly no drippings. And, the roast had a reasonable fat cap and marbling.

Marlene,

I did a roast this way Christmas Day and got nearly no drippings. And, the roast had a reasonable fat cap and marbling.

Bummer. However, my sous chef, Jake assures me she'll take care of the gravy using my veal stock and some other magical stuff. So we're going to give this a shot!

Marlene

My second Christmas Prime Rib and successful both times. So I would consider this pretty much fool-proof:

A four rib aged roast weighing 11 lbs, seasoned with kosher salt and cracked pepper, cooked for 5 min a pound (55 min) at 500 F. Turned oven off and let it continue with door closed for two hours. Very even and perfectly medium rare throughout (much like ChefCrash's pictures), except for about 3/4 of an inch on the left outer side which was medium-well. OK since one of my 13 guests wanted it cooked more anyway. We didn't get to it until about and hour after removing it from the oven, but, thankfully, it was still hot.

There wasn't much drippings so I had to use my demi and red wine reduction for the jus. But with the fat and the cracklings it was really tasty.

My second Christmas Prime Rib and successful both times. So I would consider this pretty much fool-proof:

A four rib aged roast weighing 11 lbs, seasoned with kosher salt and cracked pepper, cooked for 5 min a pound (55 min) at 500 F. Turned oven off and let it continue with door closed for two hours. Very even and perfectly medium rare throughout (much like ChefCrash's pictures), except for about 3/4 of an inch on the left outer side which was medium-well. OK since one of my 13 guests wanted it cooked more anyway. We didn't get to it until about and hour after removing it from the oven, but, thankfully, it was still hot.

There wasn't much drippings so I had to use my demi and red wine reduction for the jus. But with the fat and the cracklings it was really tasty.

This is pretty much how I usually do it, although I use 450 convection and oven off for an hour an a half. I usually get a fair amount of fat in the pan. However, I always have to clean my oven the next day, and cleaning the roasting with this method is a huge pain.

Marlene

There was mostly rendered fat in the bottom the pan. I like to make the gravy early and don't rely on drippings.

In a 12" pan, saute two sliced portabella mushrooms in very little oil (add as you need) until tender. De-glaze with 1/2 cup red wine scraping the pan, then add 2 cups of your veal stock or 2 cups of water and 2 tsp beef base (I do the later). Season to taste and simmer. Thicken with a slurry of flour/water.

PC254525.jpg

• 11 months later...

I never seem to get much by way of fat in the bottom of the roasting pan. I think my old one was too big and thin, and I have a new one. I'm thinking I should put some liquid in the bottom, but don't want to cool it off too much?

Edited by Dignan (log)