• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Free Range Chicken Advice

Maureen B. Fant

Yesterday I was given a serious free-range chicken, which I thought I was going to serve tonight but can't. This morning the maid cut it up and washed it, so I hesitate to freeze it raw (is that right?) and am exploring options for freezing it cooked.

I had wanted to make it with tomatoes and/or peppers or, because peppers are not in season despite being available, pan-roasted with white wine, garlic and rosemary, or (super recipe) with anchovies and capers. I could just stew it with garlic, rosemary, and wine and freeze it like that. I could combine it with tomatoes when I thaw it. Everybody is telling me not to freeze tomatoes and not to freeze the cooked chicken in any kind of sauce. I confess I have been freezing tomato sauce for years without noticing any problems.

I've already made broth from the head, back, wing tips, and various other things, unfortunately not including the feet, which had already been removed.

This chicken has me intimidated, so I'll be much obliged for any tips.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com

In my personal experience, stewed/braised chicken (or chicken in a soup) freezes with less change in texture than roasted chicken. That said, I'd freeze a fresh, cut up chicken without any worry or fears. I routinely buy fresh chicken parts, repackage & freeze. Here in the US, most chicken is shipped frozen, defrosted & sold as "fresh" and then frequently refrozen before cooking by the end user. That said, uncooked, frozen chicken will have a better texture when defrosted & cooked than the frozen cooked, then reheated chicken.

Freeze it raw, individual pieces wrapped very tightly in plastic wrap. Thaw it out slowly in the fridge a day before you are ready to use it again. It will be better than cooking and freezing it.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

Freeze it raw, individual pieces wrapped very tightly in plastic wrap. Thaw it out slowly in the fridge a day before you are ready to use it again. It will be better than cooking and freezing it.

Thanks so much. So even though the pieces have been washed, it's OK to freeze? That was my main concern about freezing it raw, which is certainly easier.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com