• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foam Making - equipment assistance required

Fibilou

You can buy this one or any other CO2 charged device. Also, whipping a stable element or puree with xantham gum works well; 2 grams xantham to 240 grams liquid, make sure they are chilled. A little soy lecithin mixed with a hot or cold liquid and buzzed with a stick blender also work.

Ryan Jaronik

Executive Chef

Monkey Town

NYC

Don't buy that stuff from ISI direct, it is terribly expensive

I just got a set (one whip, one soda) with ten charges each for about $80USD on ebay. There is probably a similar deal in the UK.

"Go ahead...play with your food....we do" - Tom Head

"Go ahead, play with your food....we do!" -Tommy Head

I just recently got a great deal on an ISI Thermo whip (good for making hot foams - and is insulated - will keep hot liquids hot for 3 hours, or cold liquids cold for 8) on ebay for about $80....

With this whipper, you need to use the Nitrous cartidges, not the CO2 ones... just make sure you get the "cream chargers" not the "soda chargers"... you can get great deals on Ebay for those too....

To make hot foams, rather than adding a bit of gelatin, it is best to use a bit of Agar Agar (available in most Chinatowns, or online) - it holds its shape best when hot... Just add a knife tip or so to a couple of cups of liquid, and bring to a boil... then add to the Thermo Whip and you're ready to go...

Fibilou - I believe I'm right in saying that the plastic-bodied models can be used only for cold foams (and I'm not sure how much they may absorb flavours).

The stainless ones are more versatile, and can be set into a bain marie to keep warm.

The "thermo" ones have an insulated flask, so keep hot (or cold) without assistance for longer.

AFAIK, CO2 acidifies.

The CO2 cartridges used to be sold for making (english english) soda water.

Hence I was surprised to see the advice above to use CO2.

Unless you really want the 'soda water' sharpness, use N20, Nitrous Oxide - even though its more expensive.

But beware that other folks use Nitrous, uh, differently.

Some boy racers use it for a switchable momentary power burst.

Others get their 'amusement' :laugh: , uh, otherwise.

Hence, it does no harm to stress your culinary intent when shopping...

Try 'health food' shops for Agar in the UK.

Have you seen Adria's chapter in "The Cooks Book"? (Even if he does think Gelatine is veggie... :rolleyes: )

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Have you seen Adria's chapter in "The Cooks Book"? (Even if he does think Gelatine is veggie... :rolleyes: )

harhar ! if only my cookbook budget would stretch to a Bulli book....

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

harhar ! if only my cookbook budget would stretch to a Bulli book....

That's the whole point - it isn't a Bulli book at an outrageous price !

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cooks-Book-Step-st.../dp/1405303379/

And I hadn't spotted that Jackal10 posted an Amazon review...

Its under £20

I got mine from thebookpeople rather cheaper, but they no longer list it.

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

Damn you, Dougal ! there went £19.50...... my husband will have a pink fit, I promised faithfully I would buy no more cookery books this year... have cunningly sent it to my parents' address so he thinks I've had it for ages.

What a cookbook addict won't do to get her hit...

Edited by Fibilou (log)

www.diariesofadomesticatedgoddess.blogspot.com

• 1 year later...

Just to update this thread, I recently was shopping around for a 1 pint Thermo Whip, and the best price I found (about $100 shipped) was at--

http://www.restockit.com/Whipped-Cream-Dispensers-.html

It arrived today, about 5-6 days after placing the order, and looks to be a very solid piece of kitchenware. I forgot to order cartridges at the same time, so I'll pick some up tomorrow at Zabar's and start experimenting.

It comes with a pamphlet of recipes and hints, which looks like it was written for the 1 l Gourmet Whip, but the recipes are easily divisible, and one should take note that the recommendation in the recipe book to keep the Gourmet Whip warm in a bain marie do not apply to the the Thermo Whip.