• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting London - Restaurant Recs Please

2 days in London, then trip to France, then 1.5 back in London. Never been, and as someone in the NYC area, I know this is tantamount to asking "what to do/where to eat in NYC" in that timeframe, but still, any guidance would be helpful and very much appreciated.

Re: food, I'm thinking 1 fancy meal at Restaurant Gordon Ramsey, 1 Sunday night meal at a gastropub (Gun?), and then maybe St. John's Bar & Restaurant? Thoughts? What about Tamarind or something else?

Figure some good fish & chips, maybe at Fish Club for lunch one day... dunno what else...

Thought maybe a bar one night - perhaps Shochu Lounge?

I am very open to other suggestions/alternatives!

(And if anyone would mind throwing in a few suggestions on great things to see/do, I would appreciate it. I can do without the cliche changing of the guard, for example.)

Thank you in advance!

Some helpful information from locals in this thread. Scroll down to the last few threads to see what we thought of the various places we ate (including St. John Bread & Wine, New Tayyab, Rules, and several others).

We ate at Gordon Ramsay at Claridge's on a previous visit, and very much enjoyed it (lunch, a lovely experience) and Veeraswamy (upmarket Indian, not really all that exciting IMO).

Can you pee in the ocean?

2 days in London, then trip to France, then 1.5 back in London.

When? Various places (such as Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road) are due to be closed at times over the summer for refurbishment so timing will affect suggestions.

When? Various places (such as Gordon Ramsay at Royal Hospital Road) are due to be closed at times over the summer for refurbishment so timing will affect suggestions.

September 2-10 - thanks!

September 2-10 - thanks!

Yikes - if GR RHR is closed until the 5th, how might I go about getting a rezzie for the 9th? And, if I can't, should I aim for another Gordon Ramsey or somewhere else as my not-to-be-missed London dinner?

Not a food reply, but since you asked...

Go see the Banqueting Hall and The Cabinet War Rooms. A lot of Americans seem to miss these two, and they're well worth a look. There are lots of free museums in London if that's of interest.

Yikes - if GR RHR is closed until the 5th, how might I go about getting a rezzie for the 9th?  And, if I can't, should I aim for another Gordon Ramsey or somewhere else as my not-to-be-missed London dinner?

9th September would always be a problem (it's a Saturday and GR RHR is only open Monday - Friday). There's a similar thread here which might help.

• 7 months later...

I am going to London in a few weeks to have lunch at Gordon Ramseys. In the evening however I want a tour of as many decent restaurants as possible. Now I am not looking for set meals, but places I can go eat a bar snack, have a drink and move on to the next place.

Can anyone give me some ideas of some good places whereby I can carry out my restaurant hopping? I have identified The Providores, Benares and Moro? Are there more or better than what I have come up with?

Also what is the best way to travel taxi or tube ?

Many thanks :wink:

A couple of other places worth thinking about are Nobu Berkley, Roka or Zuma, Yauatcha, downstairs at L'atelier de Joel Robuchon, Fino, the list could go on!

Travel wise, cab is always more pleasant, but tube is cheaper (especially if you get a one day travel card).

Best,

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

Barrafina in soho might be better than fino - same owners but an actual tapas bar more than a restaurant, i would definitely do Yauatcha - you could have a cocktail and cake upstairs in the teahouse mmmm! Also Scotts for a glass of champagne and some oysters, Atelier is also definitely worth a visit and you could go to the intercontinental hotel to Theo Randalls restaurant for a drink in the restaurant and some antipasti

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

Hey, all!

I'm headed to London (on my way back from Mumbai) for three nights (March 8, 9 and 10). I'd like to eat at some fun places...am thinking maybe one or two posher dinners, and some good lunch spots.

I'm planning on doing one high tea, at either The Ritz or The Stafford (where I used to stay with my mom), and during the days will be focusing mainly on museums and churches (I was a religion major and wrote my thesis on an English mystic, but haven't been back since and would like to revel in my geek-dom a bit), while my companions will be doing a lot of shopping.

Any recommendations/can't miss places? I'd rather stay away from places that have brother/sister establishments here in New York (Nobu, Gordon Ramsey, etc.).

I don't want to spend more than, say, 75 GBP per person on the "fancier" meals, but I'd go up to 100 for the right place. :biggrin:

No Indian food, please (given that I'll have been in India for a week at this point).

Basically, I'm looking for a mix of high and low, and all good. We're staying at Hotel Russell (link), on Russell Square.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

On a London trip last month, I was very impressed with Tapas Brindisa right near Borough Market. You won't find Spanish products (hams, sausages, olives) of that quality in New York - at least I never have. Good wine too. No reservations. Could be a good choice for a Saturday lunch because you could also visit the market. See: http://www.brindisa.com/dining_about.asp .

E

Admittedly, I haven't been to London in several years (but will be there this fall). I always loved Rules, one of the oldest restaurants IN THE WORLD (opened in 1772, I believe) and specializes in game. Also, Tayyabs is probably the best Indian restaurant in the world - period - end of sentence.

to get in within budget at the michelin starred places in London you are better off going for lunch than dinner. you can get set menu lunches that can keep you under 75 pounds if you are careful with the wine, but i find that dinner will invariably jump over budget and can get crazy. Having said that, there are some nice places where you can stay within budget if you are careful ordering.

I would suggest J SHeekeys for very traditional British seafood, and I would strongly suggest a trip down to the borough market on saturday. you can always get something from the stalls there. they have everything from sovlaki to falafel and im sure you can find some interesting foodstuffs to take home.

the new wine bar in the basement of fortnum and mason is worth a visit. they will open anything from their shop for a small corkage fee, and they have a nice nibbles menu as well.

do you have any specific type of food you want to try?

I would strongly suggest a trip down to the borough market on saturday. you can always get something from the stalls there. they have everything from sovlaki to falafel and im sure you can find some interesting foodstuffs to take home.

If you can get to Borough Market on a Friday (it's open from noon to 6pm), it's a lot less crowded than on a Saturday and generally you'll be surrounded by more people who are actually there for the food and fewer tourists "just looking".

Also, for a fine dining experince on a budget, you might consider Theo Randall at the InterContinental for a weekday lunch (£18 for 2 courses, £23 for 3). The room's pretty sterile, but the food's the thing.

A couple of places worth trying are as follows:

- Le Gavroche, lunch with three courses, half a bottle of wine, coffe and petits fours for £45

- The Bacchus, Shoreditch - "Fine Dining in Trainers", excellent value a la carte and incredible value tasting menu at £40 for 6-courses or £55 for the 9-course Aventura menu

- Rules - for the exerience as much as anything

- Tom Aikens - whilst some will disagree, I think this place is bang on the money

- Le Vacherin (I am bound to suggest that, but I think it is a great restaurant at excellent value)

- Hawksmoor

Also, have a look at toptable.co.uk - there are loads of special offers on this site like 50% off a number of excellent restaurants, and it is free to use!

Best,

David

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

I've been meaning to try Chez Bruce...

In the smithfield area (farringdon tube station) (and in reverse order):

1. Brunch (or a steak if you want it in the evening, but I don't think one comes to London for the steaks from NY) at Smith's of Smithfield (they've just opened a smaller nice room on the first floor... although I have to say it's disappointing to have orange juice from concentrate at somewhere like that...

2. St John

Edited by Catriona (log)

Admittedly, I haven't been to London in several years (but will be there this fall). I always loved Rules, one of the oldest restaurants IN THE WORLD (opened in 1772, I believe) and specializes in game. Also, Tayyabs is probably the best Indian restaurant in the world - period - end of sentence.

As a note on Rules (on Maiden Lane - come down from Covent Garden) they do (or did) a pre-theatre menu that was a pretty good deal. Their pheasant was great.

As a note on Rules (on Maiden Lane - come down from Covent Garden) they do (or did) a pre-theatre menu that was a pretty good deal. Their pheasant was great.

When I went (geez, 1999 or 2000?), it was the pre-theatre deal I could afford. I brought two old friends and yes, the pheasant was fabulous. As was the rabbit and mushroom ravioli (dining with a vegetarian). Very fond memories of that place...

Breakfast at The Wolseley www.thewolseley.com

A few glasses of Guinness and a plate of oysters downstairs at Bentley's - www.bentleys.org

Afternoon tea at Sketch (or just tour the building and visit the exhibition during the day in the Gallery, they'll happily show you around) - www.sketch.uk.com

Tapas at Barrafina - www.barrafina.co.uk

Lunch or Dinner at Arbutus - www.arbutusrestaurant.co.uk

Lunch or dinner at Tom's Kitchen - www.tomskitchen.co.uk

Do the gastropub thing at The Ladbroke Arms www.capitalpubcompany.com/ladbroke.htm. No one ever seems to talk about this place but its absolutely my favourite pub in London. A real locals place (albeit locals talking about their property developments in the Middle East) and the food is reportedly very good from an ex-Bibendum chef in the days when Bibendum was at the top of its game. Alternatively, The Princess, 76 Paul Street, EC2A 4NE (020 7729 9270) is also very good.

Splash out at The Ledbury, 127 Ledbury Road, W11 2AQ (020 7792 9090) - one of the best value full on fine dining experiences in London or The Greenhouse www.greenhouserestaurant.co.uk, expensive but worth it.

Do the gastropub thing at The Ladbroke Arms www.capitalpubcompany.com/ladbroke.htm. No one ever seems to talk about this place but its absolutely my favourite pub in London. A real locals place (albeit  locals talking about their property developments in the Middle East) and the food is reportedly very good from an ex-Bibendum chef in the days when Bibendum was at the top of its game.

I second this. When I lived in Shepherds Bush 5 moons ago, this was our regular reliable haunt. Relaxed and comfortable interior, good wine list and the food could be excellent but when it wasn't, it was far from awful.

Another place I have heard is okay is Timo off High Street Kensington somewhere. Italian, reasonably priced. No more detail than that.

Looking at your original request for fun places, we always had a lot of fun is Cibo on Russel Gardens of Holland Road. Never anyone in it until 10pm but the lovely waitresses are delightful and the owner swans around with his tan, pink shirt and blazer collecting the money. Food is rustic Italian served on wacky plates.

Oppostie is a middle eastern place called Alounak which is worth a visit

You guys are so great - thanks for all this info (keep it coming!).

do you have any specific type of food you want to try?

I'm pretty open...I'd love to try some offal and/or game, so St. John's definitely appeals...will it be hard to get in?

I've also heard that Asian food in London is quite good...while I'd like to avoid Indian, I'd love to try pretty much anything else.

I also like the idea of doing some London-y things, like a gastropub and, obviously, fish and chips...someone on FFB's topic mentioned a fish and chips spot on Russell Square, so I figured I'd check that out. Any other suggestions?

I love the idea of exploring the markets, whether I eat from there or not. Besides Borough Market, any other recommendations? Market/food hall shopping is the only kind I plan to do - I'm not going to be hitting the department stores with my wimpy little dollar-based salary. :wink:

ETA: I probably need a reservation for high tea, right?

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

In terms of afternoon tea at the Savoy or whatever, yes. Definitely need a reservation. I remember being heartbroken one day about 10 years ago when my dad tried to take me when we happened to both be in London (from Dublin) on the same day!

(note: afternoon tea, not high tea - high tea is a very hearty early evening meal...)