• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Visiting London - Restaurant Recs Please

I've got some business in London in January and plan to shoehorn a couple of days gorging in while I'm there.

It's been a while since I've visited so I will have one top end dinner in either RHR or Petrus.

That leaves two lunches and one dinner ( provided I don't expire from gout by day two!) I specifically want to check out places that are producing simple yet high quality bistro fare. Places such as St. John, Arbutus, Wild Honey, Comptoir Gascon, Market etc ( I'm sure there are plenty I haven't heard of)

I would be very grateful for recommendations for lunch and dinner.

www.hardens.com - definitive.

Like Ferran Adria? One of his proteges is chef at Bachus in Hoxton. Mainstream media panned it. Harden's reporters raved. I thought that some of his stuff worked, other parts didn't. But it was well worth going. Like being an animal in the testing of a new drug.

If you are from the US you should be aware that there are Indian restaurants with Michelin stars.

Mainstream French high end -- Roussillon.

Cheers Worzel, Bacchus certainly sounds interesting-would it be a better bet for lunch or dinner?

Would really like to try the starred Indian restaurants but we're only coming from Dublin and Atul Kocher is due to open here early next year so we'll porbably give Indian food a swerve this time.

I've got some business in London in

Interesting to note that you recommend Rousillon Worzel. I was thinking of going there for a long lunch in late Jan and wondered what it was like nowadays as I have never had the pleasure of going there as yet. Any further details...

Cheers Worzel, Bacchus certainly sounds interesting-would it be a better bet for lunch or dinner?

Would really like to try the starred Indian restaurants but we're only coming from Dublin and Atul Kocher is due to open here early next year so we'll porbably give Indian food a swerve this time.

I think you could do either. My preference would be dinner as it allows more time to work through the many small courses on the 12-course menu. http://www.bacchus-restaurant.co.uk/. Also, the food is wine friendly and I prefer drinking wine in the evening.

The great thing about Hoxton is that there is no tube so you get to walk a mile back to Old Street and work off all the calories you consumed. :rolleyes:

I've got some business in London in

Interesting to note that you recommend Rousillon Worzel. I was thinking of going there for a long lunch in late Jan and wondered what it was like nowadays as I have never had the pleasure of going there as yet. Any further details...

I think of it as Gordon Ramsay with the decimal point moved one place to the left on the bill. The food is modern French and highly seasonal. The setting is very much 'couples romantic'. Lotsa' flowers. The service is professional but not stiff. I think bottled water is (as a general rule) a ripoff so when they asked what water we would like I gave my usual reply 'Your finest Thames'. The French waiter laughed.

I can't remember his name but the sommelier was very knowledgable as well.

Patrick, have you booked Petrus or RHR yet? RHR is two months in advance, but if you ring them you may get a lunch opening (they serve the same menu as well as a very well-priced lunch menu). Petrus is also booked out quite a bit in advance, but if you’re not looking for a Friday, you should be OK.

I would certainly recommend Wild Honey, I think it’s exactly the type of place you have in mind. Racine is lovely too, but is more solidly French than modern bistro (moules, excellent tete de veau). If I was heading over, I’d definitely be interested in checking out Le Cafe Anglais, mentioned above, Rowley Leigh’s new place and even though it’s been on the go a long time, if you haven’t been to Kensington Place before (his old place) I think it is the sort of thing you’re looking for. Hibiscus, which has had plenty of discussion here would also be interesting, but maybe not what you’re looking for this time round. And St John is great, lovely for lunch.

I presume you’ve had a look at the Where are the interesting openings in London? topic.