• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lower priced places to sample really good wines

John Talbott

Elsewhere, ewindels wrote that:

I would also love a reco for a lower priced place where one could sample a variety of really good, or at least interesting, wines (2-3 glasses a person). Doesn't have to have a huge list, but as long as I'm in France... And yes, I realize that with the current exchange rate, "reasonable" is an extremely mercurial term, but maybe where we could sample a bottle or two with food for... E100s each? Less?.

My response: As for wine places for 100E for two with two bottles, Les Papilles or Louis Vins would do the trick.

P.S. I realize on rereading that I was thrown off by the phrase “lower priced place” and therefore assumed he meant 100 E for two, but at 100 E apiece, my suggestions are modest.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

100 € each is "lower-priced"? That's fun.

I agree with John's suggestion of Les Papilles. Louis Vins, while I enjoyed the food when I went there, wasn't as hot in the wine department (long list, but not the best producers, esp. Burgundy, and very highly priced).

I would suggest Willi's Wine Bar or Fish la Boissonnerie (though the latter is loud and crammed with Anglophones).

What about Il Vino, the new wine bar/resto of Enrico Bernardo, who won the World's best "sommelier" in 2004? They have menus paired with wine for 50, 100, and 1000€

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

What about Il Vino, the new wine bar/resto of Enrico Bernardo, who won the World's best "sommelier" in 2004? They have menus paired with wine for 50, 100, and 1000€

True enough, I ate at a table with Colette and we had limited choices, but Pierre45 ate at the counter and really dived in.

John Talbott

I remember that Astier was known for its wine list, is this still true?

Le Baratin is another choice.

Absolutely Le Baratin. My memory of the "old" Astier wine list is foggy, but I think the new one is not quite as impressive.

John Talbott