• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stanley Tucci's new restaurant

ngatti

Yeah, my mom ate there a few weeks back. Gave it good marks, but she wasn't very specific. It's right off Rte. 684, off the Hardscrabble Road exit, and I've at least passed it a few times. It's in a space converted from a pub, which was in that location for, I don't know, twenty years or so.

I'll see if I can get details, but she's horrible about stuff like this. It's probably genetic, since I'm only marginally better. :wink:

edit - wait... it looks like you need an address or a name. I'm sure I can get that, just not tonight.

edit again - okay, I found the info without calling her. It's "Finch Tavern" and it's Croton Falls, not Katonah. The GM is Daniele Mastrangelo, per this article, dated a mere two days ago. Yahoo Yellow pages has no listing, but you should try the real phone company instead, I guess. Confusingly enough, the NY Times ALSO has a reference and says that its in "North Salem, N.Y", which previously unknown to me is a few towns away from Croton Falls, and which ALSO has no listing for "Finch Tavern" in the Yahoo Yellow Pages.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Hi,

That was my piece in the Journal News. For some reason, the sidebar, with a brief description of the new restaurants, did not get on the Web, but our Web master says it will be available today. Click on Life & Style and scroll to the archive for 9/21/02.

In the meantime, here is the address and phone number:

Finch Tavern, 592 Route 22, Croton Falls. 914-277-4580.

Liz Johnson

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Hi,

That was my piece in the Journal News. For some reason, the sidebar, with a brief description of the new restaurants, did not get on the Web, but our Web master says it will be available today. Click on Life & Style and scroll to the archive for 9/21/02.

In the meantime, here is the address and phone number:

Finch Tavern, 592 Route 22, Croton Falls. 914-277-4580.

Liz Johnson

Thank you liz.

Trying to figure out where Steve Santoro landed. This seems to be the place.

Steve Santoro: IMO, the most talented, well palated chef never to become well known. I've worked with many people. He is among the best.

Nick

Nick,

This is indeed where Santoro is. He was quoted in the Times piece saying he didn't want to reinvent the wheel... wanted to let the food speak for itself... and that he's using a lot of local ingredients.

When I spoke to Mastrangelo he wasn't specific about which local farms, saying they're still changing purveyors a lot as they settle in.

I didn't get a chance to interview Santoro.... tight deadline.

Liz

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Nice article, Liz. The new Peter X. Kelly project sounds like it could be interesting.

Stanley Tucci seems to have multiple connections to restaurants.

"Frankie & Johnnie" and "The Big Night" come immediately to mind. I wonder if he also takes a hand in kitchen from time to time?

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

Rail Paul,

Thank you!

I'm no expert on Tucci (even though Big Night is among my favorite movies ever), but I don't think he's cooking at the restaurant. He did write a cookbook with his mother and some other writers, "Cucina & Famiglia."

Yes, stay tuned for the Kelly project.

Liz

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

• 4 months later...
Stanley Tucci seems to have multiple connections to restaurants.

"Frankie & Johnnie" and "The Big Night" come immediately to mind.  I wonder if he also takes a hand in kitchen from time to time?

I saw him cooking on Sarah Moulton's show on FoodTV once about a year ago. he seemed to know what he was doing and also seemed really cool and into food.

No wonder he did Big Night.

As long as we're talking about actors owning restaurants in NY state, anyone heard anything about or been to "Tony Soprano's" restaurant? I have, and most of the tapas were really quite good--especially the shrimp and squid.

Steve Klc

Pastry chef-Restaurant Consultant

Oyamel : Zaytinya : Cafe Atlantico : Jaleo

chef@pastryarts.com