• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

KitchenAid Attachments

Lindacakes

• 4 months later...

I am thinking of buying the grinder attachment and understand that it comes with "coarse and fine stainless steel grinding plates". What sizes are these plates? (I am hoping the answer is 3mm and 8mm - so that I can try Heston's hamburger recipe :biggrin: ).

If anybody is looking for coarser plates for the grinder here's a source: KitchenAid Plates the same vendor also has individual plates of different sizes. The coarser plates are great for grinding meat for chili etc.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

An interesting attachment, if you can find one and would rather not devote counter space to a food processor, is the DVSA, which is a disk slicer/shredder that uses food processor disks (and has similar safety interlocks to a food processor). They made it briefly, and then discontinued it, perhaps because it competed with their food processors that used the same disks. It cuts more precisely than the cylindrical rotary shredder/slicer, though the rotary attachment works better for some things like shredding cheese. I bought mine as a clearance item on the KitchenAid site, but that was a few years ago.

Edited by David A. Goldfarb (log)

I am thinking of buying the grinder attachment and understand that it comes with "coarse and fine stainless steel grinding plates". What sizes are these plates? (I am hoping the answer is 3mm and 8mm - so that I can try Heston's hamburger recipe :biggrin: ).

The dies from the KA grinder are 3/16 and 1/4"