• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pre roasted joint of meat re heated as a steak

cookaburra

The restaurant I work in, being situated on a public golf course, is quite large in capacity and unfortunately with the way kitchens are designed these days, chefs are hardly ever consolted, so the chargrill is very small. But I have the advantage of having a rational combi oven which should be good for low temperature roasting.

I was thinking of pre sealing an estimated number of steaks each day and then finishing them to order in the oven if necessary.

But another option I would like to know more about is this idea of very slow roasting a whole joint of meat rare, 50 degrees Celsius I guess. Then cooling it, cutting portions somewhere between 200 and 450 grams to store in the fridge.

When the order comes in I then flash it on the chargrill to quickly colour the steak and warm it through to the temperature required.

I was thinking cuts like the rib and the sirloin of beef would lend itself well to this way of cooking. Does anyone have any other suggestions for which cut of meet I should ask my butcher for.

Anyone done this process before successfully?

What tips can you provide please?

But another option I would like to know more about is this idea of very slow roasting a whole joint of meat rare, 50 degrees Celsius I guess. Then cooling it, cutting portions somewhere between 200 and 450 grams to store in the fridge.

When the order comes in I then flash it on the chargrill to quickly colour the steak and warm it through to the temperature required.

I was thinking cuts like the rib and the sirloin of beef would lend itself well to this way of cooking. Does anyone have any other suggestions for which cut of meet I should ask my butcher for.

Anyone done this process before successfully?

What tips can you provide please?

Combitherms are great since they reduce meat shrinkage vs. conventional ovens. My concern with preroasting rib or strips are the end pieces. Most paying cutomers who order steak will recognize an end piece from a roasted beef. I am not sure if this would be cost effective? They can be recycled into your bolognaise sauce but those prime rib and striploin end piece sure is going to be one expensive bolo.

i have had great experience with VERY slow cooked rib/sirloin.

i finish it whole on the grill, but there is no reason you cant finish it as steaks. if it is very slow cooked or done sous vide there shouldnt be a noticeable charred end cut.

If you are concerned about how you advertise it, how about selling it for what it is? you can use the fact that you are using an innovative process as a marketing point, since the end result is an extremely moist and soft steak.

If the end bits become dried out a bit, I could chop them up for my thai beef salad I guess. There will always be a use for that.

I don't have sous vide equipment unfortunately, so the combi will have to do.

I guess it would be impossible to serve a blue steak though if somebody orders it.