• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Minestra Brigante

Fish

We had an amazing lunch at a fabulous restaurant called Palatium (via Frattina, 94)in Rome a few weeks ago. My wife had an amazing thick, hearty, lentil soup called "Minestra Brigante" which, like everything else at Palatium, is apparently a specialty of Lazio. I've looked all over, but can't find a recipe for this dish. Anyone have a recipe?

Thanks much!

- S

Problem is anything goes with touristy restaurants. It could and possibly is an old plain lentil soup. give it a special name and tourist rave about.

Palatium is absolutely not a touristy restaurant, except for being located near Piazza di Spagna. It's the one place in Rome that has all hard-to-find Lazio-produced ingredients and dishes not found elsewhere. It's a bit sleek and chi-chi-looking, but it's excellent.

I've never heard of minestra brigante, but next time I go to Palatium, I'll interrogate them about it.

Maureen B. Fant
www.maureenbfant.com

www.elifanttours.com