• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Christmas ideas

maxmillan

I'm searching for ideas to give to a guy for Christmas. I want it food related. My budget for this particular gift is $20. I'm thinking of tea, as this person has every possible flavor of tea in his apartment. Is there a brand or set of tea that one can suggest? Are there any unique tea paraphernalias aside from a teapot?

Maybe a kitchen tool? I thought of filling a reusable dish/container with special chocolates?

What have you bought or received in the past that you really liked that is within $20?

Thanks!

What about a cookbook with recipes for cooking with tea or tea-flavored chocolate? Most good chocolate places like Haas or Chocolate Arts makes tea-flavored truffles. Depending on his style--either a beautiful hand made tea cup--Sawa tea room often sells nice ones or a unique, beautiful antique tea cup and saucer. Barabaro Joe's probably has some good tea-related books.

Ooh Cha on Kinsgway carries this neat little nesting tea set that I covet.

I see there is an O-Cha and an Ooh Cha and a Shaktea and a Shakti tea room in Vancouver just to make things really confusing. :wacko:

"I used to be Snow White, but I drifted."

--Mae West

Daddy-a, I think I'm going to get the cooling rack for myself as I'm more of the baker than he is.

Zucchini Mama, thanks for the suggestion. I laughed when I saw the last line on your post. It sounds like a tribal chant! But I will definitely head out this week to check it out.

Have you seen Tea Forte teas? http://www.teaforte.com/

I don't know how good the tea itself is, but they use a silken infuser bags that are very pretty. Lots of flavours, and attractive packaging. They also have lots of accessories made specifically for their teabags that might make nice gifts. That's what I'm giving my tea-imbibing relatives this year.

Edited by twinkienic (log)

I'd go with the Lee Valley idea. A couple of super useful gadgets that they stock: the microplane grater; a nifty jar opened; a doohickey to hold your stirring spoon on the side of the pot. All well under $20.

Paul B

Perfect! I think I will buy the tea flavored truffle and wrap them in a beautiful tea pot. I will probably go over my budget but I really like the packaging idea - unique, practical and environmentally friendly.

Thanks to everyone for the the inspiration.