• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lazzaroni Amaretti di Saronno

Fat Guy

I've had a passion for these things since the first time I tasted them nearly 30 years ago. We had a local "gourmet" grocery, Larcher's, that would sell them in the two-cookie wrapper. They knew what they were doing; people who wouldn't spring for a whole tin, would buy the singles...and then they were hopelessly hooked.

About 10 years ago, I actually found large, cylindrical tins of these for $3 (yes, three dollars) each at Sam's. Each time I go in there, I head for that area of the store, hoping to find them again, but I haven't since that magical day. Must be a once-in-a-lifetime thing.

It seems to me that with all the advanced cooking techniques we're using these days, we ought to be able to duplicate them at home. They're basically a meringue cookie, but with that interesting ingredient: apricot kernels. Any of you ever try to do this? Any ideas about how it might be done?

Anybody up for moving to Italy, getting a job in their operation, and stealing their secrets? :biggrin:

• 3 months later...
The distinctive square red-and-orange tins accumulated and my mother put them to good use: each one received a label and became the storage vessel for "string," "buttons," "pencils," you name it. To this day, there are probably a hundred of those tins in my mother's apartment, even though she hasn't bought the cookies in about 13 years.

During the last kitchen repainting, my mother painted all the cans white. They're still in use to this day.

gallery_1_295_64504.jpg

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

• 5 years later...