• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kielbasa sausage recipe

I apologize for any duplication. I'm looking for a quality recipe for a good traditional garlic kielbasa. I've made before but always cheated with spice mix from butcher supply and moose meat would like to make my own. Don't have access to anything besdies your hillshire here. Have a good workingt knowledge of sausage making but am looking for someones grandmothers recipe to go with my family pierrogi recipe. Food memories.....yummm. any help greatly appreciated but basically looking for a what spices, to what meats all pork, or pork and beef, ratio . Is a light smoke involved . ?The recipes I found on the net involved liquid smoke which i'm not fond of. If smoking is appropriate I will do cold smoke process ... happy holidays - ps this is for xmas day ty.

Edited by coastie (log)

I apologize for any duplication. I'm looking for a quality recipe for a good traditional garlic kielbasa. I've made before but always cheated with spice mix from butcher supply  and moose meat would like to make my own. Don't have access to anything besdies your hillshire here. Have a good workingt knowledge of sausage making but am looking for someones grandmothers recipe to go with my family pierrogi recipe. Food memories.....yummm. any help greatly appreciated but basically looking for a what spices, to what meats all pork, or pork and beef, ratio . Is a light smoke involved . ?The recipes I found on the net involved liquid smoke which i'm not fond of. If smoking is appropriate I will do cold smoke process ... happy holidays - ps this is for xmas day ty.

Do you have a copy of Ruhlman & Polcyn's Charcuterie? They have a recipe for kielbasa. You should also check out the (very extended) thread on their indispensable book.

ingredients for 10 lbs.

5 tbsp salt

1 tbsp sugar

2 large cloves garlic (minced)

1tbsp coarse black pepper

1 heaping tsp marjoram

1 lb ice water (1 pint)

10 lbs boneless pork butts

grind all the pork butts through a 1/4" or 3/8" grinder plate

add other ingredients and mix thoroughly

stuff into 35-38 mm hog casing

hang on sticks and allow to dry in cooler

be sure the meat is chilled between 32-34 degrees F before starting.

all blood clots, cords bones etc are to be trimmed before starting.

do not let sausage remain @ room temp longer than necessary.

this is from, "Great Sausage Recipes and Meat Curing" by Rytek Kutas, pretty much the Holy Bible for sausage making....

i would taste test the bulk sausage before stuffing it just in case you want to tweak the seasoning...

Rytek Kutas is a stud when it comes to sausage making, i have used many recipes from this book, and they have all been spot on awesome.

Edited by JEL (log)

Rytek Kutas is a stud when it comes to sausage making, i have used many recipes from this book, and they have all been spot on awesome.

I'll second that, if you don't have a copy you should get one.

i knew a guy who was quite the home sausage maker, he had a couple shelves full of books on the subject..

a few years later on one of my visits, i noticed all the books were gone except for the "kutas" book. i asked why? he said he'd read them all but this was the only one he really needed to keep.....

here is a recipe for smoked polish sausage from the same book

1 lb icewater

2 cups soy protein concentrate, or non-fat dry milk

5tbsp salt

1tbsp sugar

2 level tsp prague powder #1

1tbsp black pepper

2 large cloves garlic

1 heaping tsp marjoram

10 lbs boneless pork butts

grind same as other recipe

stuff into 38-42mm hog casing. sausage is often placed on smokehouse sticks , spaced properly and allowed to dry. you may dry the sausage as follows:

1) when stuffing the sausage, it is normally hung in the room where you are working. by the time you are done much of it may already be dry. you may put it in a preheated smokehouse @ 130F with dampers wide open for one houror until casings are dry and taking on a brown color.

2) place the sausage in a cooler and leave until they are dry.

Smoking

sausage is placed in 130F smoker with dampers wide open until casings are dry. gradually increase the temp of smokehouse to 160-165 F with dampers 1/4 open. apply heavy smoke until meat has internal temp of 152F.

remove from smoker and shower with cold tap water until meat is @ 110F. allow the sausage to hang @ room temp for 30 minutes or until desired bloom is reached. place in 38-40F cooler.

how much detail do you want on kielbasa? one of the greatest eG threads ever was on kielbasa, and it actually got me on eGullet some years ago. it was by eGs master of all things smoked, Col. Klink, and it runs through a whole bunch of threads...

the first one starts here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=12443&hl=

and the wrapup is here:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=16087&hl=

happy reading!!