• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What's Your Shirt Sleeve Length When You Cook?

...I realized that I don't like shirts down to my cuffs because I wash my hands and wrists about ten times an hour.

Same here - I'm a chronic hand-washer (knives, too)...

Add me to the neurotic washing list. If I didn't have my boyfriend to try and convince to wash the dishes after I've cooked, I would wash almost everything before I was done cooking (besides the cooking vessel, the spatula/spoon/tongs/similar device, and the possible plate I used to hold vegetables while cutting everything). Therefore, sleeves must be at least rolled up.

Otherwise, depends on how hot things are in the kitchen, though I tend to wear tank tops while at home pretty much all the time, with a longer-sleeved shirt on top if necessary. When I start to overheat, I sneeze. A lot.

"I know it's the bugs, that's what cheese is. Gone off milk with bugs and mould - that's why it tastes so good. Cows and bugs together have a good deal going down."

- Gareth Blackstock (Lenny Henry), Chef!

eG Ethics Signatory

I'm another who hates the feel of long sleeves whether I'm cooking or doing other things--plus I'm another super-frequent hand-washer, plus I do tend to use my (clean) hands a lot instead of utensils. So--when cooking, it's usually a short-sleeved t-shirt; in cool weather, maybe a sweatshirt with the sleeves rolled or shoved above the elbows. Even burns and splatters on my forearms have not supplied sufficient negative reinforcement to make me change this pattern.

Nor have I been motivated to buy an apron, for that matter ... I honestly don't know what's up with that, I've ruined more beloved t-shirts with food stains, but my sole apron vanished a move or two back and I just can't seem to make myself remember to buy another.

An additional quirk: normally I tend to wear a bunch of hand/wrist jewelry (rings, watch, bracelets, etc.) All that stuff comes off when I cook. For that matter, all that jewelry comes off when I type too ... for somebody who wears as much hand jewelry as I do, I sure as hell don't like the feel of it on my hands when I'm actually trying to do work.

Long sleeves, rolled way up, if I'm doing misc. things around the kitchen.

Rolled down when I have to lift a 40 qt. stock pot or sauté 100 chicken breasts in a roasting pan or have to reach way into the oven, rack burns on the hand seems to heal quicker than a forearm burn.

-------------------------

Water Boils Roughly

Cold Eggs Coagulating

Egg Salad On Rye

-------------------------

Gregg Robinson