• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bones of New York

fendi_pilot

Most of us know that stock is one of the kitchen essentials. I like meat bones because I like sauces. I've done some searches but can't find any information on where to purchase bones in New York.

I know Fresh Direct sells white fish bones for stock for 99¢ a lb. Whole foods occasionally has beef bones.

Lamb bones ? Veal bones ?

I'm at a loss for a good source for bones here. Any help would be appreciated. I live in Brooklyn but mostly shop in Manhattan below 14th street.

Is there a established go-to list or a 'where to find' ingredient spreadsheet around or any thoughts about creating one ?

I think this would be very easily done and helpful for these forums - perhaps I am wrong.

I shop mostly in my neighborhood, the UWS, or out-of-town to save money and haven't recently shopped for bones. However, I'm confident that all the kosher butchers, in Brooklyn or Manhattan, would sell bones of the animals they sell.

Most of us know that stock is one of the kitchen essentials.  I like meat bones because I like sauces.  I've done some searches but can't find any information on where to purchase bones in New York.

I know Fresh Direct sells white fish bones for stock for 99¢ a lb.  Whole foods occasionally has beef bones. 

Lamb bones ?  Veal bones ? 

I'm at a loss for a good source for bones here.  Any help would be appreciated.  I live in Brooklyn but mostly shop in Manhattan below 14th street. 

Is there a established go-to list or a 'where to find' ingredient spreadsheet around or any thoughts about creating one ?

I think this would be very easily done and helpful for these forums - perhaps I am wrong.

Ottomanelli's is my butcher in the village.. You call them up, they get you anything... But then again, any good butcher should.

Most of us know that stock is one of the kitchen essentials.  I like meat bones because I like sauces.  I've done some searches but can't find any information on where to purchase bones in New York.

I know Fresh Direct sells white fish bones for stock for 99¢ a lb.  Whole foods occasionally has beef bones. 

Lamb bones ?  Veal bones ? 

I'm at a loss for a good source for bones here.  Any help would be appreciated.  I live in Brooklyn but mostly shop in Manhattan below 14th street. 

Fresh Direct carries veal, beef and lamb bones as well. Kosher butchers should have a nice selection of bones, Halal butchers as well. Also check out those live poultry markets, they have other meats and will sell bones if you ask. sometimes give them away if you are ordering alot

Edited by azlee (log)

Quattro's Game Farm, which has a stand at the Saturday market in Union Square, always has some type of fowl bones: turkey, chicken, etc., usually for about .50/ lb. You can get an entire turkey carcass for two or three bucks, and sometimes it has enough meat on it to make a decent soup.

Sometimes they have game bones, such as venison, so if you are playing around with stocks, they are a good source for that.