• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Merry Widows

ulterior epicure

I could SWEAR there was a book published recently entitled something along the lines of "The Merry Widows of Champagne." It's all about the prominent widows who saved the Champagne industry (Mdms. Clicquot, Bolinger, Roederer, Pommery, etc...).

After a Google/Amazon/B&N search, I can't find it! Sound familiar, have any clue? I want to get it as a gift for a friend of mine.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I could SWEAR there was a book published recently entitled something along the lines of "The Merry Widows of Champagne." It's all about the prominent widows who saved the Champagne industry (Mdms. Clicquot, Bolinger, Roederer, Pommery, etc...).

After a Google/Amazon/B&N search, I can't find it!  Sound familiar, have any clue?  I want to get it as a gift for a friend of mine.

So it's a slow day at work and I thought I'd play detective for you.

I found this book http://www.nataliemaclean.com

and in it is a chapter called the Merry Widows of Mousse. All I found were pictures but they are of the very champagnes you mentioned. I Googled "Merry Widows of Wine" and the 3rd chapter came up.

Hope this helps.

Red, White, and Drunk All Over: A Wine-Soaked Journey from Grape to Glass by Natalie MacLean

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

After a Google/Amazon/B&N search, I can't find it!  Sound familiar, have any clue?  I want to get it as a gift for a friend of mine.

This is reminding me of something, but since I probably wouldn't have read a book on wine, maybe it was a magazine article? Food and Wine or Wine Spectator, perhaps?