• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Truffles in Teruel

I'm passing through Teruel in the first week of January and wondered if I would be able to get hold of some truffles.

I won't be able to make it to the truffle market in Mora de Rubielos (sp.?) so wondered if there were any shops which might sell them. A long shot, I know...

ps these truffles seem to be T. melanosporum - same as Perigord truffle - does anyone know if the are as good?

I'm passing through Teruel in the first week of January and wondered if I would be able to get hold of some truffles.

I won't be able to make it to the truffle market in Mora de Rubielos (sp.?) so wondered if there were any shops which might sell them.  A long shot, I know...

ps these truffles seem to be T. melanosporum - same as Perigord truffle - does anyone know if the are as good?

They are absolutely as good as any T. melanosporum wherever picked. You might want to learn how much rain the area received during the October through December months. The truffle harvest will depend on how much moisture was available to enhance their growth. We hunted truffles on the Blecqua wine property a few years ago. I do not know of any retail truffle markets. Maybe someone on the forum does. Hope you find some while visiting Teruel and it's surrounding markets. Judith Gebhart

Thanks Judith and Rogelio - the mushroom season has been appalling in Britain, but I don't know what the rain has been like in Teruel/ Aragon etc. I hope there will be a good supply by January, but in any case, whatever is available may well be better (and better value) than what I might get in London...