• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Year's Eve lobster dilemma

sara

Precooked and frozen really aren't worth it. Steven's restaurant idea really does work.

Someone has to be supplying live lobsters to, for example, Johnny Delmonico’s and Blue Marlin. I bet you can find that source. It's certainly worth a little asking around.

I'd also suggest a visit east to Eagan's, Capital Grille, and whoever else is going to be serving lobster on New Years Eve in Milwaukee.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Did you try Legal Seafoods? They might ship on Saturday.

Legal Seafoods will ship for a Saturday delivery for an extra $20.00. I think that if she ordered a shipment for Saturday arrival, the lobbies would still be fine by Monday, kept in the fridge with air and seaweed.

This is an amazing response!

Just an update: Following Steven's suggestion, I have obtained the name of the guy who sells to Blue Marlin, and been in touch with his company. I've been told it's up to the sales rep who handles Blue Marlin, and am supposed to speak with him tomorrow.

If that doesn't work out, I had another idea, which is to ask our local seafood market to special order lobsters for me, to be delivered Saturday, or Friday at the earliest. I guess they could lie about the date they come in & I'd not know, but I'm hoping by making it clear that I do not want lobsters that have been sitting in a tank in Madison for some time & am willing to pay, that maybe I can do better....

Will keep you posted!

Food is a convenient way for ordinary people to experience extraordinary pleasure, to live it up a bit.

-- William Grimes

This is an amazing response!

Just an update: Following Steven's suggestion, I have obtained the name of the guy who sells to Blue Marlin, and been in touch with his company. I've been told it's up to the sales rep who handles Blue Marlin, and am supposed to speak with him tomorrow.

If that doesn't work out, I had another idea, which is to ask our local seafood market to special order lobsters for me, to be delivered Saturday, or Friday at the earliest. I guess they could lie about the date they come in & I'd not know, but I'm hoping by making it clear that I do not want lobsters that have been sitting in a tank in Madison for some time & am willing to pay, that maybe I can do better....

Will keep you posted!

As someone from lobster country, I think that if you are are going to take delivery on Saturday, ordering from Legal is much less risky than ordering from a local market if you want a top quality lobster. Remember, "if it isn't fresh, it isn't legal."

As someone born in Boston who spent summers in Maine now living in the Mid-West, there is NO WAY I would hold Maine lobsters for two days that have been shipped to the Mid-West without being in proper lobster pound. After two days in your fridge they will be dead or close to death. That's a total of 3 days out of water.

Being in a lobster pound is not a problem as that's what your source in Maine does. If you think the lobsters that are shipped to you always come striaght from the ocean, think again.

Call one of the Sendik's in milwaukee if truly desperate and pick them up New Years Eve.

The Walmart in Lake Geneva also has a lobster pound.-Dick