• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pinche Tacos

LESider

Had a few tacos the other day at Pinche Tacos , Mott St., nr. Spring St. Have to say it was the best tasting taco I've had in NYC yet. I find all the tacos I've had in New York city for the past 9 years pretty sh*t.

( I've had the ones on 10th ave. had the taco truck on 14th. La Esquina. made the trek on the F to Jackson Heights. )

I had a chat with the guy who owns it about the state of mexican food in NYC and he felt the same as me that none of them are very good, which is why he opened one here. He apparently owns a couple of taco shops in Tijuana and brought the cook from there to teach the cooks here how they should be made. the tortilla was delicious. I had the carne asada and the pollo asado . I'd give the chicken a big nod. the steak was good. going back to try more...

Had a few tacos the other day at Pinche Tacos , Mott St., nr. Spring St. Have to say it was the best tasting taco I've had in NYC yet. I find all the tacos I've had in New York city for the past 9 years pretty sh*t.

( I've had the ones on 10th ave. had the taco truck on 14th. La Esquina. made the trek on the F to Jackson Heights. )

I had a chat with the guy who owns it about the state of mexican food in NYC and he felt the same as me that none of them are very good,  which is why he opened one here.  He apparently owns a couple of taco shops in Tijuana and brought the cook from there to teach the cooks here how they should be made. the tortilla was delicious. I had the carne asada and the pollo asado . I'd give the chicken a big nod. the steak was good. going back to try more...

I was there the other day, high hopes in tow. The tacos al pastor were first rate, but I was a bit disappointed by the seafood options...the fish tacos and the shrimp iteration were fairly boring and covered with mayo. Not impressive at all. Also, they seem to have taken the tripe off the menu, which was one of the ones that got early buzz. I'd like to go back to give them a fair shake, but after all the bluster about being the first authentic tacqueria in town, I left feeling a bit empty.

As for great-tasting tacos, I'd take the camarones and al pastor versions at Mercadito over Pinche's. Slightly less authetic, and more expensive to be sure, but way stronger on flavor.