• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchen Renovation Start to Finish

Vinotas

...The kitchen renovation, that is.

Yes, after many years of putting up with a kitchen the size of most Americans' shoe closets, I've decided to throw down the gauntlet. Time for a kitchen renovation... God help us.

One of the first steps was to replace the old range, a GE model from 1995, with a brand new Bosch 700 Series Evolution Gas Range. The old model's oven died in May and so I've been pan-searing/sauteeing/boiling/steaming since then. No roasting. As someone who loves cooking, this situation was completely unacceptable. Luckily, we had a toaster oven, but man did I have to jam that roast chicken in there. When it came out, it certainly didn't look like chicken anymore...

Well, after procrastinating a long time and researching a lot, I decided on the Bosch range. Whereas the old one had a hard time getting water to boil, this one can basically send the Space Shuttle into orbit with 16K BTU of power. When I first turned this on, the paint on my ceiling peeled. The next time my upstairs neighbor gets noisy, I'm turning this sucker on and letting his floor melt.

I made our first meal on it tonight, a quick saute of chicken, vegetables, garlic and pasta. Easy right? Well, apparently there's a learning curve with this new-fangled thing. The chicken was over-cooked, the pasta slightly mushy, the pan handles got very hot, so I've got some adapting to do. I am worried about my next omelette.

In any case, the next step(s) will be taking down the wall separating my study from the kitchen, replacing it with a peninsula with storage cabinets underneath. All the cabinets in the kitchen will be replaced by custom-made ones, and a new granite countertop is being cut as I write these words. Yay!

I'll keep updating this blog with the work as it progresses (or doesn't), and I estimate we should be done in, say, 2012. Pictures can be seen on my real blog at http://vinotas.blogspot.com/

To celebrate, we opened a bottle of 2002 Jacques Frederic Mugnier Chambolle Musigny, which was, to put it mildly, lovely.

Cheers! :cool:

Cutting a counter before the cabinets are installed? Really.

I see lots of NY (ie, small) kitchens with ranges right against the side wall, like yours. No problems with all that firepower so close to the wall?

Good luck - and your blog has me very green.

Cutting a counter before the cabinets are installed? Really.

I see lots of NY (ie, small) kitchens with ranges right against the side wall, like yours. No problems with all that firepower so close to the wall?

Good luck - and your blog has me very green.

Sorry, the note about the counter was a bit of hyperbole. I am a little excited to be starting after many months of delays and anticipation.

Thanks all for the well-wishes, and a special thanks to Weinoo, who recommended the appliance store. They've been amazingly helpful and are even storing a dishwasher (also Bosch) free of charge until early next year.

• 3 months later...

Well, it's finally begun: my kitchen renovation. After 4 months of delays and dashed hopes, the permits and licenses came through, and work began.

This will be part of my record of my experiences as our old kitchen is ripped out, ripped open and replaced with a brand-spanking new one.

Today, the old cabinets were torn out, as was the countertop, sink, faucet and light fixture, as was most of the floor. All this in 2 hours????

Pictures can be found HERE.

Stay tuned...

Day Two of the Great Kitchen Renovation of 2008 dawned cold and windy. Thirsty for my espresso, I stumbled blindly into the kitchen, or where the kitchen had been. Damn, forgot, I'm in the midst of a reconstruction. Luckily, my beloved Francis Francis X5 espresso machine was plugged in, but in the living room.

After a few shots, the General Contractor and his crew returned, and their first question took me by surprise. "You're tearing down the wall today?!" I had been told this wouldn't happen until Tuesday, so I'd have the weekend to evacuate the tiny space I call an office.

So, another round of moving, shoving and dissassembly ensued. The phone, the Wifi modem, the answering machine, the desk, the computer, pretty much anything that has to do with an office was shoved into the living room in the space of a few minutes. I'm not even sure why we call it a "living" room, there's so much stuff in it that one would be hard-pressed to actually "live" in it.

The crew sealed off the space with plastic and supports, to keep the dust out of the rest of the apartment. Supposedly.

There followed a rapid-fire exercise in rewiring, as I struggled to get the Internet and my phones back up and running. As I sat down to work, the hammering started. Rather, the sledgehammering. And the sawing. And the cracking. And breaking. And smashing.

OK, I need some peace and quiet, so I left the house. When I returned, the kitchen and office had merged into one huge space. The fridge and the oven were in the space once occupied by the office.

So now, as I wend my way through the maze of stuff that my "living" room has become, I wonder, sometimes aloud, "What the Hell did I get myself into????"

And more importantly, where the Hell is my case of Champagne?!

Cheers!

Again, pictures are HERE.

Day Three and now things got messy.

The crew showed up around 10:15am (a bit late, grrrr...) but nonetheless they quickly erected big plastic sheets, opened the windows and installed fans to suck out all the mess they were making. Today, they'd be digging channels in the concrete for electrical wires as well as enlarging the entrance to the kitchen. There had been a doorway and French doors there, but these were quickly torn down, making the entire apartment look HUGE.

Amazing how a little tweaking can affect the visual effects...

What I hadn't anticipated was the amount of dust and the mind-bending smell of plaster that permeated the place. Well, at least I slept well and had very, very, very interesting dreams...

At least I am seeing major progress. Only 2-3 more weeks, I've been assured...

More pictures HERE.

Day Four of the Great Kitchen Renovation of 2008.

Despite the crew's best efforts, a thin veil of dust covers everything in the living room and bathroom, though our bedroom is thankfully unaffected (seemingly). Dust quickly clings to every inch of exposed skin the moment one ventures from the haven of the bedroom, and seems to slip stealthily into the mouth and eyes.

There was a lot of sawing and hammering and banging, and by the end of the day it seemed like several more trenches for electricity and electric boxes had been dug. In addition, the first tangible sign of progress on something that will be visible after all is said and done was apparent: the drop ceiling for our closet dry bar.

Is this a sign? Are things heading in the right direction? Could the dust storm be over soon?

God, I need a glass of Champagne! Where the f*!k is that damned case??!!!

Pictures HERE.

Day Five ended with a shocker: visible signs of progress throughout the kitchen. Granted, going from the utter destruction and devastation that had been present to something slightly better wasn't difficult.

How awesome, rough corners had been plastered over, and holes in walls had been filled in. Electrical boxes were in place and wires were capped, awaiting the appliances and lights I had bought.

Best yet, the guys had laid out in pencil where everything was going, and this allowed me to get an idea of what the kitchen would look like when finished. Grantd, I do have an active imagination, so that helped with the process: the sink would go there, the range here, and the dishwasher right there.

And look at that, the dry bar's drop-ceiling is almost done, the walls smoothed out. How cool!

I was so happy at the progress that I didn't mind finding out that my case of Champagne was on back-order...

Pictures HERE.

Edited by Vinotas (log)

thank you so much for sharing this with us ..I am going to start a huge kitchen "model" it is not a "re" because this room has never been finished to begin with but it is the "model" part and we are doing all the work oursleves ...so I watch with a great deal of interest when someone like you is kind enough to share your adventure

so thank you! and I am glad you found your Champagne PHEW!!!!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Today is the two month anniversary of our reno. It started innocently enough, just the kitchen and flooring, then we started knocking down walls, re-routing plumbing and electrical, new lighting, new powder room, and on and on.

I don't know about any one else, but I will never take on a renovation of this size again. We are living in our noisy, dusty, cramped basement in the meantime, and the novelty has worn off.

Frequent arguments with my husband and contractor make some days unbearable. I dream of my new kitchen......stained cherry cabinets, the Wolf and Sub-zero, and plenty of room. We really splurged. Gotta keep my eye on the prize......

Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography.

~ Robert Byrne

Hey all,

Thanks, we're living through this and it's quite tough. Frankly, it looks like the kitchen and office threw up on the living room. We didn't have time to pack things away as the final permits came in so fast and our GC was ready to roll right away. So we basically emptied both rooms into our living space.

This being a NYC apartment, this doesn't leave us much room. Ergo the need for Champagne, which is sadly and frustratingly delayed.

I am looking forward to ending this, and seeing signs of progress lifts the spirits.

The kitchen renovation continues... Or more signs of progress...

Look at that! They've put down the floor! And what's this? My kitchen cabinets are on the kitchen floor, waiting to be installed. Yay!

By Friday night, they'd set up the walls of the dry bar and installed the small wine fridge that sits at the bottom of the closet. This gave me some hope that things were moving in the right direction, and Monday was another day of hope.

The ceiling has been patched over and the electrical boxes and plugs installed. Could the three weeks of displacement, dust, ordering in and eating out be worth it after all...? We'll see...

Pictures HERE.

Good luck! We're in the midst of a minor kitchen renovation as well. We replaced a Jenn-Air electric cooktop with downdraft with a GE Induction cooktop and Faber hood. Our contractor did a great job. The induction cooktop is sooo much better than what we had, as is the new hood. We still have to do some re-vamping of the lighting, which shouldn't be too much of a problem (knock on wood). This project is part of a bigger one involving various home renovation issues.

I am awaiting delivery of a C-Vap Cook-and-hold, which we will put in our basement for space reasons. That should be interesting. :wink:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the well-wishes, it's tough to live through but starting to be worth it. That said, I can't wait to start cooking!

Another day and more signs of progress. The top cabinets are up and are looking GREAT!!!! The base cabinets and the frame of the peninsula are in the apartment, waiting to be installed. The new floor, made of light bamboo planks, is down but protected and hidden from view. My new faucet just got here, and it's a doozy, and the sink is soon to arrive.

Some of the appliances are here, also waiting to find their homes: a Bosch 700 Series Evolution 30" Gas Range, a Bosch Dishwasher. Next comes a ductless fan (ducting is a no-no in a NYC apartment building, apparently... ARGH!), most likely a Broan.

So where did all the stuff from the office and kitchen go...?

It looks like the kitchen and office puked on the living room. This is what happens when your GC calls at 10am and says the last permit went through and can we start right now? You have an hour to pack up 14 years of stuff and get it out of the way. And this is the result.

God, I can't wait until this ends. Happily, my case of NV Champagne Chartogne Taillet arrived on Monday, and two bottles have been sacrificed. Delicious, with a slight cinnamon dough note buttressed by super bracing acidity. Yum.

Pictures HERE.

Wednesday, the oven and some of the base cabinets were put in place, though not really installed. That panel in the picture goes alongside the fridge, to make it look like it's a built-in. Things are advancing...

I have to say, I didn't realize how much I'd miss cooking. And paying for coffee, even at the small independent roasters (you couldn't pay me to step foot in a Charbucks), is killing me. $2.00 for an espresso, $3.25 for a latte???? I used to make those at home! Worse, I hate ordering in or going out every night, as someone who loves the kitchen it's almost like torture. All my wine glasses are covered in a layer of dust, and it's a pain in the neck not only cleaning them but reaching them. Yes, I am lazy...

Oh, man, apparently only about a week and a half left... I can't wait!

Pictures are HERE.

Those cabinets are just stunning! the wood looks so beautiful! I love light kitchens

I have been living in remodel Hell for almost four yikes almost 5 years now ...so my heart is with you ..I can not even imagine living with out dust now ..and we have about 2 years left before we can say "DONE"!!!!

we had a five year plan to finish but really over estimated our funding and physical ablity that is for sure ...

2 more years 2 more years 2 more years...argh sorry for digressing into my own misery :raz: (I am going to cut the grass today and ignore the remodel that is why it is taking more time ...it is easy to get diverted by other things that need doing!)

but you less that 2 weeks and you will have a wonderful new kitchen ..good for you!!!!

Piglet 

Hummingbirdkiss,

WOW!!! 5 years of renovations???? What the Hell are you doing to your place???? I can't even imagine being another few weeks, let alone years, in this quasi-displaced state we're in. Granted, we live in a NYC apartment, so the only refuge is the bedroom. If this were a house, I'd have multiple rooms or even an outside deck to hide out.

The cabinets will be light maple, as you can see, and the countertop is a black granite with tiny copper specks. We're still going back and forth about the backsplash, but I'd love one with 2x2 or 3x3 colored tiles. We'll see...

TSquare,

Funny you should mention the copper tiles, I was thinking that yesterday as well. I will hit a few tile stores today and make some decisions.

After ten weekdays of hard work, the kitchen has been transformed from a narrow galley to an open plan with an airy feel. I can't believe this is happening, and happening so fast! I really should mention that every day there are 4-5 guys here working their butts off, however.

But what got me was yesterday, when I got home after the crew had left: the peninsula's base had been set down, the fridge was in its home, the dishwasher in place and the base cabinets next to them. I finally started realizing what this would look like, and it got me a bit emotional. This renovation is something I've been dreaming about for over 10 years, but couldn't afford for so long. I skrimped and saved and finally managed to get everything together to turn my cramped kitchen into a professional one.

Now I'm impatient and can't wait to start cooking and having friends and business associates over.

Another bottle of Champagne was popped to celebrate the progress, a lovely pairing with a sausage and mushroom pizza.

Pictures are HERE as usual.

Edited by Vinotas (log)

Hummingbirdkiss,

WOW!!!  5 years of renovations????  What the Hell are you doing to your place????  I can't even imagine being another few weeks, let alone years, in this quasi-displaced state we're in.  Granted, we live in a NYC apartment, so the only refuge is the bedroom.  If this were a house, I'd have multiple rooms or even an outside deck to hide out.

The cabinets will be light maple, as you can see, and the countertop is a black granite with tiny copper specks.  We're still going back and forth about the backsplash, but I'd love one with 2x2 or 3x3 colored tiles.  We'll see...

Cheers!  :cool:

you asked so I am going to blab now!

yes WOW and we are still married!!! We move from room to room and just try to hide from the stress and mess!!!.I told my husband we can just pretend we live in tiny appartments again while this is going on..... our house was started by a high school shop teacher in 1960 and never finished what he did was wonderful ..upstairs we have fantastic oak floors two big fireplaces...the house faces the Puget Sound is on top of a hill and has a half acre of amazing undone garden possiblitiy ..we are just a few min from the freeway but feel like we are in the middle of nowhere .....he got to the point he could live in it and never finished it ...it was his dream house for himself and his wife ...and then it became ours through amazing circumstances ...

out of 3000 sq feet 1000 was completed ...and what was finished because of the time that had passed (and the cats that had lived here :raz: ) needed a lot of rework ...

we are almost there (I hope) ..we have done every bit of work ourselves ...except the heating that was massave there was NO CENTRAL HEAT and we froze the first two years while we tried to find a contractor ..that can be as hard as doing the work yourself we found out! that is why we keep doing it ...

the final project (except the badly needed roof and gutters that will be the real last thing and we will hire a roofer of course for that!!! ) is the downstairs main room that will become my dream kitchen/dining area ....that is why I am reading your blog and all the kitchen reno blogs with a great deal of delight and interest! ..I have a huge space to do whatever I want with! (no money to do it but I will figure it out like I have for all the other rooms!) ..all it has is a big fire place with a BBQ pit in it...no ceiling ..no walls ..no floor...but the plumbing and electrical are in thank goodness! ..I have almost 1000 ft of potential with doors to the eventual patio..garden and a wonderful view... and at least half is going to be the actual kitchen area ....we saved the best for last I say!

I am really digging those cabinets! I think with a black counter it will be amazing ...you should have colors in your backsplash that would make everything "pop!" ..but what do I know ..my taste is described as "very eclectic" to say the least!

so thanks so much for sharing ..I have been trying to figure out the storage issues... as I said we have little money to work with ..but my husband can do the woodwork so we will figure this out...I love maple...we will see

I was actually thinking of pouring a concrete counter top ..I have been experimenting with concrete design on a small scale for practice and love how it looks ..costs so little with color and epoxy it turns out looking amazing very heavy duty ..kind of like marble

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)

Piglet 

PS you can "borrow" tiles from the store ..kind of what you are thinking you would like ..set them up like a backsplash and look at it for a few days before you make up your mind ..you may know that already however ..just a suggestion

Piglet 

Hummingbirdkiss,

I don't know how you do it, this 3 week renovation is killing us. Granted, as I said, we're in a small apartment, but even in a large house, 5 years would be intolerable! You have the patience of a saint!

We are now leaning less towards copper tile backsplash after speaking with some architect/designer friends, as it loses its patina quickly and might turn a bit too dark honeyed. Between that and the light maple, the kitchen would be rather monochromatic.

Instead, we're thinking of using Costco's green glass backsplash, which can be seen here:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?...wse=〈=en-US

Relatively cheaper and it will add a nice color touch, I hope. We'll see...

Yeah, I'm being a pain in the a$$ about this, but man I'm just so excited that this is almost over.

Wow.

That was my first reaction yesterday when I came home, walking into the kitchen in an exhausted daze and seeing the results. The floor coverings had been pulled up, the pulls installed, and I'm finally seeing what the end result will look like. The effect is amazing and hard to show in pictures, but my apartment just seems to have expanded three times in size and light.

The Bosch 700 Series 30" Evolution range is hooked into place, as is its sister the Bosch dishwasher. All we're waiting for now is the backsplash, interlocking light green tiles from, of all places, Costco (who'd have thunk?). There will be a stainless steel sheet behind the range, and a Broan 30" ductless hood will soon be over it. We're also waiting for the lights to be delivered, and of course the granite countertop won't be here until the end of the week. But at least I'm really seeing what things will look like.

The dry bar is awaiting its glass shelves and under-mounted wire racks, where I'll hang my umpteen wine glasses (I'm not too modest to say I thought of that one). The walls have been painted to match the rest of the living/dining room, and things are looking seamless.

And the peninsula... ah... the peninsula. Something I've been dreaming about for years, something I've wanted to do but couldn't for so long. Well, it's in place and looking great. Four huge, deep drawers will take all my pots and pans, and at the end, that little cabinet with the vertical pulls?

Well, that's for all the winegeeks out there: a home for all my decanters (when you're in the business or just a collector, these seem to add up rapidly). How cool is that?

It finally hit me yesterday that all the hassles, all the displacement, all the damned dust, were really worth it. Really, really worth it. I can't wait to start cooking.

Pictures HERE.

I can see why you are so excited your kitchen is so beautiful ..the glass tiles from Costco look perfect I had no idea you could buy tile from there

I am not about copper especially for a backsplash and think you will be much happier with the glass it is easy to clean and the tiles are really and amazingly durable (I built a shower with glass tile and have NO regrets on that)

I want to see that first meal!!!

Piglet