• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Interesting Pre/Post Theater Dinner

mexigaf

What would be an interesting place to grab dinner before or after watching "Rent". I believe the play starts at 8:00 to 10:45 or 2:00 to 2:45. The only requirement is that there has to be some good vegetarian options on the menu. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. :biggrin:

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

I definitely second the vote for Becco. I'm a vegetarian and have always been very happy with the selection. Here are a few tips:

--I always get the pasta prix fixe menu ($16.95 at lunch and $21.95 at dinner) - it includes salad or antipasto with all you care to eat of the 3 featured pastas. The salad is a caesar salad (with anchovies) but you can opt for the mixed salad (add'l $2) or you can get the antipasto and give the non-vegetarian items to someone else at the table. The fish portions of the antipasto come in separate dishes so you don't have to worry about cross contamination.

--I never had to tell the waiters I was a vegetarian. If I declined one of the pastas that had meat, they always came back with a vegetarian-friendly version.

--On Saturdays, the restaurant offers their house-made burrata cheese. It's made with rennet, so depending on how strongly you feel about slaughter-by-products, you may want to pass on it.

--The chocolate mousse cake is made with gelatin. Same thing applies here.

I have tickets for 2:00 so location is not a problem. I check all your suggestions and maybe I'm looking for something a bit more upscale?

I guess maybe I'm being a little selfish and want to have a great meal with vegetarian options being an afterthought. :cool: maybe some restaurants will prepare a veg tasting if called in advance?

Edited by mexigaf (log)

My food and ideas CookDiegoCook

the best vegetarian restaurants in NY are:

Per Se, Daniel, Gramercy Tavern.

any of the Blue Hill genre should be able to take care of you as well:  Savoy, Back 40.

While you may feel that Per Se and Daniel are two of the best "vegetarian restaurants" in NY (they may serve fantastic vegetarian-friendly fare, given their pedigrees, but I would never classify them as "vegetarian restaurants"), I just couldn't justify paying $250 at Per Se or upwards of $165 at Daniel for vegetarian tasting menus.

Based on past experience, Gramercy Tavern does not permit only one person at the table to order a tasting menu. So, unless they have since changed their policy that may not work for the non-vegetarians. As I recall, vegetarian entree options from the standard menus were virtually nonexistent. Again, that may have changed since the last time I was there.

the best vegetarian restaurants in NY are:

Per Se, Daniel, Gramercy Tavern.

any of the Blue Hill genre should be able to take care of you as well:  Savoy, Back 40.

Best vegetarian cuisine in NYC is on curry hill! You need 30 spices for an indian cupboard!

What about Esca? If someone were taking me out for a treat before or after the theater that's the first place I'd suggest. Mainly because I haven't been, want to go, and am too cheap to take myself.

Of course, if you don't like fish, well, then you'd better keep looking.

To hell with poverty! We'll get drunk on cheap wine - Gang of Four