• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Resolutions for 2008

I will eat more sugar (seriously... I am not a sugar kind of guy, and my wife wants me to make candy! Can I put salt on all of it? And pork?)

Somewhere on this website is a recipe for bacon candy. So the answer to your question is "Yes".

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

In 2008,

I will eat lots more Indian food, since I am spending most of the spring in Bangalore. I want to do a pretty extensive food survey of what's available in that city...and blog about it.

I will make as many simple yet awesome dishes as I can, seeing as I am in the very earliest stages of Learning to Cook. And lots of enchiladas. There's no downside to lots of enchiladas.

I will find a really fantastic place to get Xinjiang food somewhere in California. My heart aches for dapanji and hand-pulled noodles.

I will learn as much as I can about Southern Indian cuisine, and hopefully learn how to reproduce it at home. (Especially Goa fish curry. Mmm, fish curry.)

I will teach....I don't have any cooking skills. But perhaps through blogging, I can teach people something vaguely interesting about my experiences in India (And China.)

I will read as much good food literature as I possibly can, and hopefully all the M.F.K Fisher that exists, since, like enchiladas, you can never really overdose on M.F.K Fisher.

In 2008,

I will eat hopefully not as much junk as last year! Better quality, smaller meals. Truffles...never had them. (can you imagine that???)

I will make homemade chocolates and pastry..I WILL master puff pastry!

I will find a way into a career as a pastry chef or chocoletier (after I lean to spell it :rolleyes: ) moving to a new city to do it....

I will learn about Wines...I want to learn about wine.

I will teach the people in my life that taking time to prepare and enjoy good food is a luxury.

I will read mass quanities on chocolate, pastry, cooking, chefing....

"I eat fat back, because bacon is too lean"

-overheard from a 105 year old man

"The only time to eat diet food is while waiting for the steak to cook" - Julia Child

In 2008,

I will eat mountains of moles.

I will make real barbecue after Christmas, unless the big box with “Weber Smoky Mountain” written on it is a trick.

I will find a decent source of seafood, even if I have to drive to Baltimore.

I will learn more about Mexican food and Mexico.

I will teach da boyz a new cooking technique – probably grilling or braising, since they love big hunks of meat.

I will read a novel for a change, and not just cookbooks and non-fiction.

A few comments before my "I will"s ...

Prasantin...convenience store nachos? you mean the ones in the heated incubator with the cheese sauce? For shame, girl! (Ignore this if those particular nachos weren't available in your part of Canada)

Daniel Rogov...I think the 18 oyster limit is extreme. Why not ease into this thing and go with 24?

Teri Everitt...you are my hero. Wow. I'm humbled by your post but I'd like to suggest trying lemon or maybe cucumber slices in Gordie's water.

GordonCooks...PM me.

(Okay, just kidding with that one.)

C. sapidus...might I suggest either of Jonathan Safran Foer's novels?

And now my "I will's"...

I will eat more reasonable portion sizes.

I will make bread more often.

I will find a job. Hey, I got my work permit!

I will learn how to "hold my tongue" in email. (Okay, not food related but very important nonetheless.)

I will teach some cooking basics to the Spawn.

I will read "The River Cottage Meat Book" (especially if Santa brings it, as I've asked him to do).

• 2 weeks later...

In 2008,

I will eat at Au Pied de Cochon (OK, that may have to wait at least another year...)

I will make the squid-ink pasta and lobster ravioli dinner my wife and I had at Red Tomato in Bethesda, MD several years ago

(I will also strive to make everything on my projects and experiments list)

I will find the aforementioned squid-ink pasta

I will learn more molecular gastronomy-based tricks

I will teach as much as I know

I will read Omnivore's Dilemma (I've got it, just haven't started it yet)

Sincerely,

Dante

First Post! I figure that after years of reading these boards, this is an appropriate topic to dive into...

I will EAT smaller portions

I will MAKE at least one completely new dish every month

I will FIND the willpower to exercise more!

I will LEARN how to apply heat properly in the kitchen (i.e. to cook better)

I will TEACH myself to cook rather than rely on recipies

I will READ recipies all the way through for theory and technique rather than rely on them step-by-step

First Post!  I figure that after years of reading these boards, this is an appropriate topic to dive into...

I will EAT smaller portions

I will MAKE at least one completely new dish every month

I will FIND the willpower to exercise more!

I will LEARN  how to apply heat properly in the kitchen (i.e. to cook better)

I will TEACH myself to cook rather than rely on recipies

I will READ recipies all the way through for theory and technique rather than rely on them step-by-step

Welcome LizD518, and good resolutions.

All these worthy ideas . . . I'm thinking of abandoning the heroic resolutions made at New Years for some more reasonable ones, and reviewing them daily.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

I will continue my exploration of Oregon Pinot Noir's with many field trips and much tasting.

I will drink more wine.

I will buy more wine than I drink, need to build up an inventory so I am drinking older Pinot Noir's.

Build or buy storage for 400-500 bottles to keep temps 55-60 degrees.

I will try to eat everything in my pantry and freezer before we move house in 2 months.

After the move I will be cooking in a new kitchen, which excites and scares me at the same time.

I will be exploring a new neighborhood, with new shops and new markets.

I will continue to write about food, to learn about food, to be inspired by food.

I will invite people to our new house and hope they will love coming there as much as they loved coming here.

I will try more new foods, new techniques, new recipes.

I will learn more about wine (this is a returning resolution.... :wink: )

I will spend more time cooking and less time in front of the tv!

I will organize my reference books, notes and cookbooks. I'm hoping the move will sort of force me to do this :shock:

I will continue to meet up with eGulleters in real life.

Not a resolution, but a wish: I hope to eat out more, budget permitting.

In 2008,

I will eat_Only great foods. I will stop wasting precious stomach space on mediocre foods.

I will make_the dishes I try at restaurants and love instead of going back time and time again

I will find__a foodie friend who loves to cook and eat as much as I do

I will learn_to be more patient so I can make more foods that take time instead of eating right when I get home.

I will teach_my boyfriend that just cuz I am a kick ass cook doesn't mean he can't cook some of the time.

I will read__more real books on food and less cookbooks.

Gnomey

The GastroGnome

(The adventures of a Gnome who does not sit idly on the front lawn of culinary cottages)

In 2008,

I will eat better.

I will make curries and soups and things that are warm and soothing to the soul.

I will find a place where I can buy dry goods in bulk.

I will learn to make a reasonably good vegetable stock.

I will teach people that cooking involves cleaning the kitchen afterwards too.

I will read something other than economics textbooks.

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

• 1 month later...

Status report 22Feb08 - progress is minimal

I will eat ..... Oh yes, I will eat! Um yes. Often and copiously.

I will make that persian lamb & cherries dish the tenor likes so muchI know which book has the recipe, I just cant find the book! Plus, its not the best time of year for lamb. Another month....thats my excuse

I will find a new 'favorite' vegetable / veg preparation for the family, or at least for the munchkinSon of a Gun - the tenor made eggplant parmesan and everyone loves it. Perhaps I'll be able to get spicy eggplant into the repertoire after all? :fingers crossed:

I will learn how to plan ahead for a special recipe, since the tenor does all shopping and how to cook spicy garlic eggplant because I like it so much

Still no progress. In fact, bought everything for palak paneer, made the paneer, spices all nicely arranged on kitchen counter, recipe out, never made the final dish. Sigh. The eggplant recipe? Not even close

I will teach the munchkin more about cookingYup: measuring. Wheee!

I will read ... nothing in particular comes to mindNor has it yet

And

I will grow vegetables we like to eat and cook. And yeah verily, the munchkin shall help me. And we shall look for the unexpected, like red carrots, purple potatoes and black tomatoes Its time to place the mailorders and start the seeds in the window.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 1 month later...

KA~

I have a lovely Persian Rice with Sour Cherries recipe if you need it. Delicious ! (Except I really need a Persian rice cooker to get that crunchy brown crusty stuff at the bottom....)

KA~

I have a lovely Persian Rice with Sour Cherries recipe if you need it. Delicious ! (Except I really need a Persian rice cooker to get that crunchy brown crusty stuff at the bottom....)

Hm. I know I'd like to see that...

Sincerely,

Dante

KA~

dockhl,

I'd love to have the recipe. Thank you! :biggrin:

I know I have a good one somewhere (I made once previously), but the where is turning out to be a problem.

I'm hoping to get this done this upcoming weekend. Got the cherries, found the lamb, gotta stock up on rice.

I'm ok at making that crusty rice on the bottom. I know its a treat (my ex-boss told us how long he practiced, to make it as well as his family's cook did), but I myself dont much care for it.

And since I finally got the tenor to show me how to download pix from the camera and size as needed, I might even be able to show it off if it turns out pretty. :biggrin:

KA~

Hi dockhl,

How about using a "caldero"? It's used in Latin cuisine and it makes great "pegao". It's never enough to please everyone, but we happily share the rice crust every time. Many times the entire bottom of the caldero is gone before the rest of the rice is.

I've searched online to see what a Persian rice cooker looks like but every page I tried was either a dead link or didn't have a pic, so I don't know if it's similar to a caldero.

Sandra

• 8 months later...

Status report 17Dec08

I will eat ..... Oh yes, I will eat! I did. I weigh now what I weighed then.

I will make that persian lamb & cherries dish the tenor likes so muchI didnt. I suck. I started it. Too many steps in the process. Next year!

I will find a new 'favorite' vegetable / veg preparation for the family, or at least for the munchkin[yup, Eggplant parmesan it stayed.

I will learn how to plan ahead for a special recipe, since the tenor does all shopping and how to cook spicy garlic eggplant because I like it so much

Not even close

I will teach the munchkin more about cookingYup: measuring. and using the whisk. And much better at egg cracking than the year before

I will read ... nothing in particular comes to mindvery little about cooking, unfortunately, but a few good blogs - badhomecooking and Gatherings

And

I will grow vegetables we like to eat and cook. And yeah verily, the munchkin shall help me. And we shall look for the unexpected, like red carrots, purple potatoes and black tomatoes loads of tomatoes. japanese eggplant, a few herbs, strawberries and a mystery fruit.