• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wybauw : Fine Chocolates 2 (Ganaches)

alanamoana

Well, after ordering it on Feb. 25, my copy finally came in this afternoon, and at first glance I am very impressed. It follows nearly exactly the same format as his previous installment in the "Fine Chocolates" series, complete with the stunning photography of Frank Croes, which makes the chocolates just pop right off the page. The English is still a little hard to follow, and the descriptions are clearly meant for people who are already familiar with making chocolates (i.e. definitely read through Greweling first), but there are some really great flavor combinations and innovative presentations in this one. I am excited to give some of these recipes a try: does anyone who has had the book for a while have any suggestions on where to start?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Well, after ordering it on Feb. 25, my copy finally came in this afternoon, and at first glance I am very impressed. It follows nearly exactly the same format as his previous installment in the "Fine Chocolates" series, complete with the stunning photography of Frank Croes, which makes the chocolates just pop right off the page. The English is still a little hard to follow, and the descriptions are clearly meant for people who are already familiar with making chocolates (i.e. definitely read through Greweling first), but there are some really great flavor combinations and innovative presentations in this one. I am excited to give some of these recipes a try: does anyone who has had the book for a while have any suggestions on where to start?

Tough question. I'd start with what ingredients you have around or have access to. I notice that a number of recipes call for sorbitol - not something I have in the house right now.

Do you have a cup mold of some sort - I'm really attracted to the cuvette recipes that start on about page 182?

Do you have a cup mold of some sort - I'm really attracted to the cuvette recipes that start on about page 182?

I wish I did, those cuvettes are some of my favorite presentations. I love the layering he does with them, and the neat looks he achieves. You are quite right, I don't have sorbitol, and probably don't want to buy any until after I move. I will have to look through and see what he's got in there that doesn't call for it.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I wish I did, those cuvettes are some of my favorite presentations. I love the layering he does with them, and the neat looks he achieves. You are quite right, I don't have sorbitol, and probably don't want to buy any until after I move. I will have to look through and see what he's got in there that doesn't call for it.

You can make your own cuvettes. Take some little plugs of foam, wrap them in deli wrap (the plastic type), twist the extra on the top with a twist tie, dip them in tempered chocolate, let crystallize, then squeeze the foam to get them out of the cup. Here is a picture by rlevine from a previous discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

A question directed to me on my website that I can't answer so I thought I'd throw it out here.

On page 68 and 69, reference is made to 'hard milk substitute', 'hard white substitute chocolate' and 'hard substitute' or 'hardened fat'. Do you think this just refers to compound chocolate?

• 2 weeks later...