• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brooklyn bakeries

bpearis

A friend of mine asked me if I knew of any really good bakeries in Brooklyn near him -- he lives in Gowanus (sort of outer Park Slope). I said I didn't know, but knew people who would. Don't let me down...

"If it's me and your granny on bongos, then it's a Fall gig'' -- Mark E. Smith

nesita, i think the bread at uprising is lousy. i like lopez bakery, which is now on 5th ave. near 5th st. - ish. but even they aren't *good.* for good baguettes - go to bierkraft on 5th ave. near union. they get fresh breads in every morning from the good places...

My favorite is Royal Crown(I make a special trip every time i visit brooklyn). Its on 14th Ave and 66th ST. Its a quick trip if you live on 3rd or 4th Aves. They have the best Italian (long and round) loaves around. Their olive bread is superior, and they have what they call stone bread.A ciabatta like bread that has a large amount of corn meal on the outside of the loaf. This gives it a very crisp crust. Their pastries and cakes are good quality "Italian bakery" style. If its great bread you're looking for this is the place. By the way they alo have a store on 14th near 63rd in Brooklyn.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

• 2 months later...
My favorite is Royal Crown(I make a special trip every time i visit brooklyn). Its on 14th Ave and 66th ST. Its a quick trip if you live on 3rd or 4th Aves. They have the best Italian (long and round) loaves around. Their olive bread is superior, and they have what they call stone bread.A ciabatta like bread that has a large amount of corn meal on the outside of the loaf. This gives it a very crisp crust. Their pastries and cakes are good quality "Italian bakery" style. If its great bread you're looking for this is the place. By the way they alo have a store on 14th near 63rd in Brooklyn.

I totally agree. There is no better than Royal Crown!

Get thee to Caputo Bakery (Court and Union)...The ciabatta, olive loaf, lard bread and classic semolina italian bread are to die for...the also have killer breadsticks and lard/pepper biscuits...head down the block to Court Pastry for the best cookies, lobster tails and sfogliatelli in the free world.

Edited by Doolittle (log)

nesita, i think the bread at uprising is lousy.  i like lopez bakery, which is now on 5th ave. near 5th st. - ish.  but even they aren't *good.*  for good baguettes - go to bierkraft on 5th ave. near union.  they get fresh breads in every morning from the good places...

Nina I know you like Beirkraft and I do to. Have you ever tried the cheeses and breads from Panarama? I haven't been there lately but have always liked it in the past. Nice cheese selection - reasonably priced and good breads (which sell out early).

My friend who lives around the corner and shops at both B and P (aformentioned) told me that Panarama was really hurting for business. It's not easy being a small business owner of a perishable luxury item. I hope they can all sustain and the neigborhood supports them. So many people seem to bitch and moan about the prices at Bierkraft - they don't appreciate the cost of doing business among other things. ANyway I am ranting so its time to stop

I also love DiFara's pizza and hanging out with Dom - he even knows to give us extra grated parm for the pizza without asking now. But don't get there as often as I would like - it's a huge trip from my house !! (and worth it)

This summer we took some friends on a food safari to Brooklyn and hit up An Dong and DiFaras - went to An Dong first so that whilst we were waiting for the maestro to complete the pizza we wouldn't be starving....He just makes the best pizzas.

Stop Tofu Abuse...Eat Foie Gras...

www.cuisinetc-catering.blogspot.com

www.cuisinetc.net

www.caterbuzz.com

Forgive the pedantry - but Dom uses Grana Padana, not parmesan (I know, they're similar but not the same).

I love the banh mi at An Dong. All the varieties.

I do need to go to Panarama more. The few times I went I wasn't so impressed with the selection, although I haven't explored their bread any time recently. I do find Bierkraft to be somewhat pricey for the 'hood (despite my understanding of the pitfalls of retailing), so I'll give Panarama some more tries. Thanks for the nudge.

• 5 years later...

stayed in brooklyn for a week last month in williamsburg and always had a pleasant experience at blackbird on bedford. i think the cross street was north 6th. nice interior, friendly staff, and one of the employees added some extra fruit into our smoothies and it was great.

I need an eye opener.