• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Grey splotches inside my stainless

KitchenQueen

I have several stainless pots and pans that have developed grayish splotches all over the inside bottom.

It's ugly and I want them gone.

Some expensive pans, some so-so to cheaper.

Diswasher? No change. Dawn Power dissolver? No change.

I even took a brillo pad to one of the cheaper pans. Still there.

But I have some stainess lined copper that I refuse to abuse. Not to mention that everything on earth will stick if I Brillo it to death.

What is this stuff, and how do I make it go away?

It must be something I cooked in them, right? FYI, nothing was ever burned in them.

What the heck is it?

I've had those spots ocassionally and I don't know what causes them either, but I've been able to make them go away with barkeepers friend.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I've had those spots ocassionally and I don't know what causes them either, but I've been able to make them go away with barkeepers friend.

I thought about that, but it's still abrasive. I just can't do that to my good pans.

I may try it on one of the cheaper ones just to see what happens.

All my pans are All Clad copper core.  It doesn't scratch them at all.

:blink: unstinkingbelievable .

I just marched my tail into the kitchen and pulled out the sorta-cheapo saucepan.

Hit it with Barkeepers, a little water and a paper towel. Rinsed and dried with a paper towel.

I can see my face in the bottom, it's like a mirror.

I always keep it around, but have only used it for my LC stuff!

If it scratched this saucepan, I can't see it.

I think Egullet people are the smartest on earth.

Marlene, I owe you one big steak.

Wait a minute.. Aren't you the one with the baseboard vacuum system?

If you are, my furniture will be arriving soon, as I'm moving in with you.

I'l make you dinner later.

I had that start happening to some of my good pots when I moved to Virginia. It was my water, because I often wash stuff and let them air dry on the rack.

Once I figured out it was the water and started towel drying, I haven't had any more problems.

“Don't kid yourself, Jimmy. If a cow ever got the chance, he'd eat you and everyone you care about!”

So far, Bar Keepers Friend hasn't scratched anything of mine.

But I've seen lot of scrub sponges labelled "safe for all surfaces" scratch stainless steel.

All my pans are at least a little scratched from years of using these things without really paying attention, but I've switched to using much softer ones, like the scotch bright domi pads, or other similar ones that just have fabric on the outside. Plain sponges work also.

Notes from the underbelly

So far, Bar Keepers Friend hasn't scratched anything of mine.

But I've seen lot of scrub sponges labelled "safe for all surfaces" scratch stainless steel.

All my pans are at least a little scratched from years of using these things without really paying attention, but I've switched to using much softer ones, like the scotch bright domi pads, or other similar ones that just have fabric on the outside. Plain sponges work also.

Everyone must try the purple scrubbie....I got one as a sample at a NY food show I wont even say how long ago.

Like the site says it rinses clean, doesnt scratch, and cleans things like a breeze.

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I too, have all All Clad stainless. I only use barkeepers friend and it works great! When my pots were brand new, I was cooking some onions for french onion soup, went to watch tv, fell asleep (ok, a couple of drinks may have been involved), needless to say,the onions burned to a crisp in the brand new pan. It took about 1 1/2 hours to get the pan cleaned, but bar keepers friend was the friend that helped me the most. I ended up going on line and buying a case of it, since it is much cheaper to do so that way.