• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kosher Truffle Oil

Pam R

Has anybody come across kosher truffle oil? I'm working on a menu with a chef and he has requested it, but I can't find any. I've searched, and come across only one company that claims to sell it, but when I click through to purchase, they don't.

The hechsher has to be a strong one (one of the big guys - OU, COR, etc.).

I've seen it in several places where I shop. I think the distributor is Rue Lafeyette.

Edited by bloviatrix (log)

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

There is a topic about that. But in this case, truffles won't work. Cost, logistics, etc. I will probably have to tell him that it's not something I can get, and that will be fine. It's for one passed hors d'oeuvre in a multi-course meal.

Oil is processed - any processed product and any oil, whether it's truffle or olive (or any other) has to be produced under kosher supervision for my purposes. Unless it has a kosher symbol on the packaging, I can't use it. We even have an issue of certain places not allowing us to use certain fresh vegetables.

The one source in the US hasn't returned my email or phone calls. The people I'm working with might have to bring a couple of bottles from Israel.