• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mazatlan

eyedoc

Going to Mazatlan and probably will be the only American not staying at an all inclusive.  Will have a car and am looking for any recommendations.  Thanks.

Take a ferry across to Isla de la Piedra (Stone Island) and go to Victor's Viento Viejo. Whatever can be picked or pulled from the water, very informal, fantastic people. Spend the day. Heck, spend the whole time you're there!

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Going to Mazatlan and probably will be the only American not staying at an all inclusive.  Will have a car and am looking for any recommendations.  Thanks.

I've been going to Mazatlan for more than 20 years and in all that time, have met only a handful of people going all inclusive. There are just too many good places to eat to spend all your time at one restauarant. You may want to park your car and use the cheap local buses. Traffic there can be horrible.

Don't miss a trip to Panama for breakfast or lunch. The menu is boggling and everything is good. Save room for the dessert cart choices that an adorable girl will roll past your table several time!

Plan on an afternoon at the Plaza Machado in the old part of town. Enjoy a beer at Cafe Pacifico, the oldest bar in Mazatlan. While you are there, enjoy some of the most authentic local food at El Tunnel. After lunch park on a bench and enjoy some wonderful people watching. And don't miss a tour of the Angelea Perlita Theater across from El Tunnel. An amazing place to see.

Another treat is to go north as far as you can, all the way to Cerritos. You will stumble on a couple of very native restaurants with great seafood. Raw oysters harvested perhaps within the hour, washed down by great Mexican beer.

If a larger meal is what your looking for, make a left turn right before you get to the shacks. There a sign that says Ginger's horses. Take that road to the end and you will find an amazing restaurent at Playa Bruja. I never get tried of the garlic shrimp but other's in the family love the coconut shrimp or the shrimp and lobster combo. If you're getting "beered out" this place has a full selection of the hard stuff. This would be a good place to discover the joys of tequilla!

The Papagayo restaurant at The Inn has a nice menu. The breatfast buffet is very good. I love sitting outside and watching the ocean.

Oh well, I could go on and on but I'll just say you are in for a treat.

If you check out the Mazatlan Newspaper, The Pacific Pearl's website, there are a lot of restautrants listed. We have rarely had what I would call a really poor meal there. Enjoy your trip and take lots of pictures to share.

I've been going to Mazatlan for more than 20 years and in all that time, have met only a handful of people going all inclusive.

What I was going to say.

In fact, I think most of the norteamericanos there really do get out and enjoy the city. There are several language schools and a large expat community. I think you'll be quite surprised.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Gracias a todos. Great feedback and much appreciated. Is it safe to drive around Mazatlan? When I was in Oaxaca, it wasn't safe to drive and even Mexico City is iffy so I am concerned. Oaxaca is much further south and the the problem is carjacking, kidnapping and car crime in general. There were police roadblocks every now and then and we travelled with locals. Is Mazatlan different? There will be 4 of us and we would rather drive than take local buses.

Gracias a todos.  Great feedback and much appreciated.  Is it safe to drive around Mazatlan?  When I was in Oaxaca, it wasn't safe to drive and even Mexico City is iffy so I am concerned.  Oaxaca is much further south and the the problem is carjacking, kidnapping and car crime in general.  There were police roadblocks every now and then and we travelled with locals.  Is Mazatlan different?  There will be 4 of us and we would rather drive than take local buses.

Obviously, no place is completely safe, but I've never felt unsafe in Mazatlan. I don't know about Oaxaca, but Mazatlan is certainly safer than Mexico City. Not sure if you are accustomed to renting cars in Mexico, but it can be really costly, partly because of the insurance, and sometimes it's difficult to find spots to park in the narrow and crowded streets of the older sections of the towns.

I don't usually take buses either, but in most of the towns and cities (although not Mexico City), it's easy and safe to hail a cab, and that's what I do. The last time I was in Mazatlan, it was about this time last year. My dad and I drove down there in an RV and stayed in one of the RV parks that cater to snowbirds. Mazatlan has these adorable white taxis that are kind of like a cross between a golf cart and a VW bug. In fact, they ARE a cross between a golf cart and a VW bug, since they're golf cart tops built onto VW bug chassis. My dad thought seriously about buying one. The guy told us that you could get a new one for about $8K USD, and my dad considered hooking one up to the back of the RV and hauling it home.

I'd have no hesitation in renting a car there, but taxis are so easy, I wouldn't see the need to, frankly.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I doubt if you will experience any safety issues while driving. I was thinking of the hazards of dealing with people on bikes after dark, kids darting into traffic almost like it was a sport and trying to find paking places. Also any time someone wants to grab a bus they just wave at it. No need for bus stops, the driver will veer across a lane of traffic to get to the curb. Another thought, Mexico still operates according to the Napolenic Code, quilty until proven innocent! Drive with care.

Back to food! You didn't mention where you are staying but if you have a kitchen, don't miss the chance to buy and cook some fresh shrimp. Mazatlan is the shrimp capital of Mexico. If you like avocados, you can get a cheap fix too. It is great fun just to cruise the aisles of a big market. And of course Central Market is a whole other thing.

My least favorite meals have been Asian ones. Somehow the two cultures seem to clash at the table! Had some strange Italian/Mexican hybred meals as well.

I don't usually take buses either, but in most of the towns and cities (although not Mexico City), it's easy and safe to hail a cab, and that's what I do.  The last time I was in Mazatlan, it was about this time last year.  My dad and I drove down there in an RV and stayed in one of the RV parks that cater to snowbirds.  Mazatlan has these adorable white taxis that are kind of like a cross between a golf cart and a VW bug.  In fact, they ARE a cross between a golf cart and a VW bug, since they're golf cart tops built onto VW bug chassis.  My dad thought seriously about buying one.  The guy told us that you could get a new one for about $8K USD, and my dad considered hooking one up to the back of the RV and hauling it home.

I'd have no hesitation in renting a car there, but taxis are so easy, I wouldn't see the need to, frankly.

They're called pulmonias and they're a great, if not particularly cheap, way to get around without the hassle of parking or worrying.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

I don't usually take buses either, but in most of the towns and cities (although not Mexico City), it's easy and safe to hail a cab, and that's what I do.  The last time I was in Mazatlan, it was about this time last year.  My dad and I drove down there in an RV and stayed in one of the RV parks that cater to snowbirds.  Mazatlan has these adorable white taxis that are kind of like a cross between a golf cart and a VW bug.  In fact, they ARE a cross between a golf cart and a VW bug, since they're golf cart tops built onto VW bug chassis.  My dad thought seriously about buying one.  The guy told us that you could get a new one for about $8K USD, and my dad considered hooking one up to the back of the RV and hauling it home.

They're called pulmonias and they're a great, if not particularly cheap, way to get around without the hassle of parking or worrying.

If I've got a lot of shopping to do (like last year when I bought heavy pewter pieces for everybody on my Christmas list), I'll hire one for the afternoon. The driver will help you with your bundles and store them in the cab while you forage for more. I agree, the pulmonias are not particularly cheap, but neither is renting cars in Mexico. At least not in my experience.

are the pulmonias large enough for 4 adults? are these the only taxis or are larger, not golf cart, taxis available? when you say they are not cheap, how much? we can rent a car for the week for about $200, and while i would rather not, if we need 2 taxis every time it might be worth it. we are all walkers and will walk whenever possible. but we are also there for a week and are adventurous. we would like to see the countryside and go to stone island and go to cerritos in the north. the cost of taxis vs. the convenience (and inconvenience) of a rental? opinions? by the way, my wife is a chef and we plan to cook at home if those shrimp are as good as we expect. so we will also be going to the central market. walk? cab?

are the pulmonias large enough for 4 adults?  are these the only taxis or are larger, not golf cart, taxis available?  when you say they are not cheap, how much?  we can rent a car for the week for about $200, and while i would rather not, if we need 2 taxis every time it might be worth it.  we are all walkers and will walk whenever possible.  but we are also there for a week and are adventurous.  we would like to see the countryside and go to stone island and go to cerritos in the north.  the cost of taxis vs. the convenience (and inconvenience) of a rental?  opinions?  by the way, my wife is a chef and we plan to cook at home if those shrimp are as good as we expect.  so we will also be going to the central market.  walk? cab?

Hee is a link with lots of inifo on Mazatlan. You may have to dig for what you want but the forum moves pretty slowly. There are also photos, videos and info about most of the hotels and, better yet, the restaurants.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g1507...ific_Coast.html