• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is there a real butcher on the NE side of ATL?

RAHiggins1

I want to get a frenched pork roast for New Year's and I do not want to pay whole foods prices.

Have you tried Patton's Meat Market on P'tree Ind? He has great quality and seems amenable to special orders. His family packs for $55 are a super deal. We started getting them regularly and vacuum seal/freezing.

Also, Gulf Coast Seafood has beef now and he is searching for some holiday stuff for me as well.

Good luck and report back any other finds.

I'd like to lament on how the whole of Atlanta seems to really suck when it comes to finding good, quality foods without the price being jacked through the roof. I live in between norcross and Duluth and really its a sad state of affairs over here. Target, Kroger, Little Giant (aka save right/Winn dixie), Publix and Super Walmart, Super H-mart (Asian) and a dingy international farmer's market with smelly frozen fish (usually yellow croaker). It's just not possible to get quality without filling up the gas tank.

Then there is the restaurant situation in Gwinnett. If I want Italian it's Macaroni Grill or Provino's or Dominick's. All of which sell outdated 1970's style dishes (pasta, cheese & sauce heated in a salamander) that haven't been updated in ages.

No mom and pop shops with good, hearty, rustic, cuisine. I want pappardelle tossed in garlic butter with meatballs on the side dang it.

Edited by RAHiggins1 (log)
Veni Vidi Vino - I came, I saw, I drank.

Then there is the restaurant situation in Gwinnett. If I want Italian it's Macaroni Grill or Provino's or Dominick's. All of which sell outdated 1970's style dishes (pasta, cheese & sauce heated in a salamander) that haven't been updated in ages.

No mom and pop shops with good, hearty, rustic, cuisine. I want pappardelle tossed in garlic butter with meatballs on the side dang it.

Hmm, meanwhile if I want good Dominican or Columbian, I have to drive to Norcross. Why not simply drive three miles west of Norcross and eat at Di Paola?

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

Hmm, meanwhile if I want good Dominican or Columbian, I have to drive to Norcross. Why not simply drive three miles west of Norcross and eat at Di Paola?

Hey Cool Papa, where in Norcross do you get Dominican?

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

I was unaware of DiPaola, I shall be giving it a try.

Have you tried Wilkes?  They also have locations in Suwanee (where they sell prime) and Tucker.  Not sure if they are all still related or not.

http://www.wilkesmeatmarket.com/index.html

I'm familiar with wilkes, I used to shop at the one that was on old norcross road years ago. I've been to the one in Lilburn, but they are always closed by the time I get over to them after work :(

$6.49 /lb. for their Crown Roast. (I'm assuming this is a frenched pork roast.)

I've started buying whole beef tenderloin at Super H mart and trimming them up myself. I get 12-14 filets that way. Not bad since they sell them at $4.99/lb

They sell whole rib roasts too. Much easier to trim up and you get about 14 12oz steaks. Price is same as the tenderloin.

Super H mart's fish is ok, but once again you have to pay close attention to where it came from.

I was 1/2 mile from gulfcoast seafood friday and totally forgot to swing by there and check it out.

Have you tried Wilkes?  They also have locations in Suwanee (where they sell prime) and Tucker.  Not sure if they are all still related or not.

http://www.wilkesmeatmarket.com/index.html

I'm familiar with wilkes, I used to shop at the one that was on old norcross road years ago. I've been to the one in Lilburn, but they are always closed by the time I get over to them after work :(

$6.49 /lb. for their Crown Roast. (I'm assuming this is a frenched pork roast.)

I've started buying whole beef tenderloin at Super H mart and trimming them up myself. I get 12-14 filets that way. Not bad since they sell them at $4.99/lb

They sell whole rib roasts too. Much easier to trim up and you get about 14 12oz steaks. Price is same as the tenderloin.

Super H mart's fish is ok, but once again you have to pay close attention to where it came from.

I was 1/2 mile from gulfcoast seafood friday and totally forgot to swing by there and check it out.

I saw them at Harry's yesterday and when I ducked in Patton's the other day I think he had some as well.

Did you try Patton's or is that where this thread was inspired?

I don’t want to get too off-topic (I love Gulf Coast Seafood too BTW), but I was just told the other day by one of Atlanta’s beloved restaurant bloggers than Tratttoria 141 in John’s Creek (formally Duluth) is also phenomenal. I hope to verify, but that part of town has a lot of good restaurants.

To NY Mike: Mi Pilon is one of the best restaurants in all of Atlanta, BuHi north of JCB. There is a good Columbian bakery/restaurant across the street and I was told by two foodies, a nice Venezuelan pollo joint in the same shopping center.

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

I don’t want to get too off-topic (I love Gulf Coast Seafood too BTW), but I was just told the other day by one of Atlanta’s beloved restaurant bloggers than Tratttoria 141 in John’s Creek (formally Duluth) is also phenomenal. I hope to verify, but that part of town has a lot of good restaurants.

To NY Mike: Mi Pilon is one of the best restaurants in all of Atlanta, BuHi north of JCB. There is a good Columbian bakery/restaurant across the street and I was told by two foodies, a nice Venezuelan pollo joint in the same shopping center.

I've tried columbian twice the first time ordered a platter that turned out to be mostly blood sausages and chicarones. I prefer frito lay brand pork rinds personally. The second time was a little better, but the wait staff were not speaking any english so it was very difficult to order. I did get empanadas but they were filled with greasy potatos. I've a friend who makes them from his ex columbian's wife's recipe and they are far superior.

On Topic* I've not tried patton's yet. Actually, I've not gone shopping for my roast yet, I'm going to do that on saturday and prep everything on sunday and monday for new year's eve.

So I ended up ordering a 5-6# frenched pork roast with chine removed. It was $36 and came out pretty darn good. I took pictures of it and the mis en plac for it, but forgot to get any after pictures of it coming out of the oven or being served. There were 3 servings left afterwards. I coated it with puree'd fennel and onion mixed with garlic, sage, rosemary, oregano and thyme. I then roasted it at 400º for an hour and then cut the oven back to 300º until it was 155º internal. I prepared a warm apple compote to go with it.

So I ended up ordering a 5-6# frenched pork roast with chine removed. It was $36 and came out pretty darn good. I took pictures of it and the mis en plac for it, but forgot to get any after pictures of it coming out of the oven or being served. There were 3 servings left afterwards. I coated it with puree'd fennel and onion mixed with garlic, sage, rosemary, oregano and thyme. I then roasted it at 400º for an hour and then cut the oven back to 300º until it was 155º internal. I prepared a warm apple compote to go with it.

So where did you end up finding it?

So where did you end up finding it?

Doh! I totally forgot to say where I got it.

Patton's.