• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jarred Mincemeat

Fernwood

Who likes mincemeat? My husband does; I haven't eaten it enough to have much opinion. Maybe next year I'll be able to make my own, but right now I just want something from a jar so I can do some quick tarts to please the hubby. I found two jars yesterday. One is his 'native' brand, Nonesuch (Borden, from Ohio), the other is something from the import section but the name escapes me at present (not Crosse & Blackwell). Any feedback about using the jarred stuff? The Nonesuch seems quite wet and loose, the import looks denser. I guess wet may be OK for an open tart? I was thinking of using a cream cheese crust recipe, though the easiest thing to do would be to thaw a disk of my standard (all butter) crust.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, Fern

To make the wet stuff less so, stir in 1/4 cup of rolled oats (you can toast them in a pan first) to each cup of mincemeat. Or, you can mix in nut meal, hazelnut or almond, same ratio, or even cornflake crumbs.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I grew up eating Nonesuch - but not the jarred variety - the one in the little box that is dry. It is much drier. We added more diced apples, raisins (golden), and currants (dried), and nuts - walnuts or pecans (we had a huge tree in the back yard). We added liquid to bring it to a moist, but not soupy consistency - water, apple juice, or half and half water & apple juice. And more spices - ginger, allspice, and cinnamon. A sharp whang of good bourbon or brandy doesn't hurt either.

The Robertsons and the Crosse & Blackwell are ok as well - we just found that they needed to be "freshened up".

Since mincemeat is already cooked, you don't need to bake it forever - Im remembering 30-40 minutes at 350, middle oven.

It's still my fave.

Good luck!

Theabroma

Sharon Peters aka "theabroma"

The lunatics have overtaken the asylum