• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chef Looking to Learn More

chefdavid321

So, I've been in the industry for about 15 years, starting at the bottom and working my way to the top, then going back to the bottom in order to learn more. I have 3 degrees, 2 in the culinary arts, and have studied abroad. My love of cuisine started when I was young. Cuisine has always been a window into the soul of a culture and humanity for me.

I think the word "culinarian" has a stigma about it, but I I'm proud to call myself a culinarian, a bonafide food nerd and I don't think many who call themselfs chefs should, but I've cut my teath in enough places and I'm a Chef through and through. I've held so many different positions in this field throughout my career, and now I teach. I love teaching, but I want to learn more. I never want to stop learning about cuisine and culture.

My question is this: where can someone like me take classes, learn new techniques, expand my knowledge, and just be a sponge for more? I should have done a stage or two but didn't (regret). I should have gone somewhere, accepted being treated poorly, and learned in kitchens here (did some of tha there), in Spain, France, Italy, or wherever, and just absorb and learn, but I feel I'm too old and just don't think I could do it unless it was someplace amazing.

I just want to grow more as a chef. The most amazing thing about being a chef is that I learn every day! I teach cooking school now, am recently divorced and can do what I please. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

The bottom line is this: If I could spend a few weeks or months just working or taking classes (classes would be best I think). where should I look? I find many classes offered throughout the world are for tourists and novices. Thank you for any and all info and help.

Might want to start with culinary schools--specifically I believe the CIA has post grad and professional classes designed for exactly what you are looking for.

My other advice is to stage in top kitchens in your area. Odds are that you may not learn a ton but you'll pick up a trick or a technique here and there that you can apply to your own designs.

CIA Greystone in St. Helena.

I go when my creative juices run stale. They have classes for every level. The advanced levels are great for professionals. Not being classically schooled I found the classes a great experience. Teaming up with your peers from across the world is worth the class alone. The kitchen there is amazing.

Edited by Saltydog (log)

www.saltyskitchen.com