• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fresh Herbs During or After Cooking?

Utenya

Hello all!

Long time lurker, and finally got myself to post! This has been my goto site everyday at work, and love the community here. :wub: Well here it goes, and don't know if there's been a topic in regards to this, but a premilinary search found nothing.

When is the best time to put in fresh herbs, during cooking or after cooking? Say for example making a tomato sauce, some say that it's better to put in the fresh basil during cooking to infuse the flavour, while others say that it's better to put in the fresh basil after the sauce is done to retain the brightness of the basil and stronger flavours. Does it depend on the cooking process or what you are cooking? Help!

Thanks!

Hi Utenya and welcome !

I find the more "fragile" or tender the herb is, the later it should be added in the cooking process. Sturdy herbs like bay leaves, rosemary, even thyme and sage stand up well to high heat or prolonged cooking. Thin, leafy herbs like basil, mint, parsley and cilantro do not, and their flavors will be lost if you put them in too early. I usually add them not more than 5 minutes before the dish is done, and save back some to add right before service.

The hardier, woody herbs like rosemary actually need the heat and time to mellow out and do their magic. Put them in too late, and they're way too assertive and take over the dish.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

It's also a matter of layering flavors. Fresh thyme added to a soup as part of a bouquet garni early in cooking recedes nicely into the background, whereas it sits brightly up front if you crush a few leaves and toss them over a bowl at service.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I agree with the above comments.

I would add that the combination of fresh and dried versions of the same herb adds dimension. Same goes for mushrooms.

Edited by Peter the eater (log)

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack