• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Denver Leg of Venison

Truffle

I was curious about this too, I was looking at the offering from D'Artagon. SO I googled a bit ...

The Hind Leg

The leg is comprised of four sub-primal muscles that can be broken down into restaurant ready cuts, or bought further desinewed and trimmed as the Denver Leg.

The Denver Leg is seven (or eight, depending on the New Zealand supplier) convenient cuts from the hind leg. All cuts from the Denver Leg can be cut to create either portioned medallions, or a combination of steaks, noisettes, butterflied steaks, mini roasts, stir fry, kebabs.

85% to roasts or medallions, 11-12% usable trim

Used to make steaks, medallions, noisettes, roasts, butterfly steaks

Elk is also trimmed into a Denver Leg as well, which is used for the same things but it is typically twice as large, about 20 pounds.

Edited by Batard (log)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson