• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum

Chris Amirault

What is the Gosling's "old rum"? I'll have to use frozen passion fruit puree for this, but it sounds damn tasty... in a fruity way. :wink:

the "old rum" was a special bottling that they did. I think it is still around in some markets. I'm pretty sure all their stuff is made in Guyana so it is basically just a nice older Guyana rum.

the passion fruit juice we were using back then was something marketed to pastry chefs as a sorbet base. it was delicious stuff with enough acidity that it could substitute for citrus in a cocktail.

Edited by bostonapothecary (log)

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

Because I'm the highly suggestible type, the revival of this thread combined with a nearly-empty bottle of homemade Swedish Punch that is taking up more than its fair share of room in my refrigerator resulted in my making a Doctor Cocktail with Wray and Nephew last night. Which, if you haven't done it, is pretty worth doing.

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

the passion fruit juice we were using back then was something marketed to pastry chefs as a sorbet base. it was delicious stuff with enough acidity that it could substitute for citrus in a cocktail.

Boiron's by any chance?? I've used the mango and the blood orange in cocktails to excellent effect. I'm sure the passionfruit is equally delicious. Goya or La Fe make a pretty good frozen passionfruit puree you can find in most Latino markets or larger supermarkets with a significant Hispanic clientele.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol