• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fun Toys and Gifts for Cooks?

faine

I'm looking for a Christmas gift for my dad and was wondering if the Egullet community could help me out. My dad loves food related gadgets...he's especially into grilling and any meaty type of thing. I was thinking of a tagine or maybe a sausage grinder, or maybe a pasta maker (though he's more of a protein type). What do you think? What's the coolest new stuff that's come out lately? Anything you particularly like (and actually use a lot)?

Here's a previous similarly themed discussion that might give you ideas:

Kitchen Gadgets - "stocking stuffers", ideas needed for small gifts

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't know about him but I've been lusting after one of those no-contact infrared thermometers (egullet friendly link).

It's looks like something incredibly geeky and just fun to play around with yet just expensive enough that I really couldn't justify buying it for myself. IOW, a perfect gift for someone. Everyone I know who's gotten one of those spends a solid week taking the temperature of everything around them: clouds, TV screens, walls, cats...

Ostensibly, it could also be used to ensure that your grill is at the right temperature before cooking.

Edited by Shalmanese (log)

PS: I am a guy.