• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Everything you wanted to know about powdered sugar

blittle6

Thanks for all the suggestions! I doubt it was the bowl since I tried it numerous times (emptied bowl, rinsed, remixed... and also tried another batch in a different bowl!)

The sugar was stored in its plastic bag with a clip over the opening.. but air exposure and picking up off tastes is still a possibility. The only thing is that the sugar at my MIL's had the EXACT same off taste (I'm betting hers had been there for a while too). Can sugar or corn starch oxydize over time?

Either that or it's the brand and I'd never noticed it because my preparations always called mor icing sugar as a relatively minor component, whereas here it was to be the star of the show...

So everybody's comfindent that with normal icing sugar, you're just supposed to get a nice unctuous, sugary taste?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I doubt it was the bowl since I tried it numerous times (emptied bowl, rinsed, remixed... and also tried another batch in a different bowl!)

The sugar was stored in its plastic bag with a clip over the opening.. but air exposure and picking up off tastes is still a possibility. The only thing is that the sugar at my MIL's had the EXACT same off taste (I'm betting hers had been there for a while too). Can sugar or corn starch oxydize over time?

Either that or it's the brand and I'd never noticed it because my preparations always called mor icing sugar as a relatively minor component, whereas here it was to be the star of the show...

So everybody's confident that with normal icing sugar, you're just supposed to get a nice unctuous, sugary taste?